Discuss Advise plz guys in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

James

TF
Reaction score
Hi guys looking for some expert advise regarding movement joints and grout spacers !We have just finished my renovation we have a wet piped ufh with anhydrate screed all heating has been commissioned an ran up to max temps.I plan on using a str machine to remove all laitaince an prime an seal the screed then fix dirta with tm anhyfix The tiles are 600x600 porcelain I will be leaving all skirting an door frames off until It's tiled ,problem we are having is regarding movement joints ,trades on site are saying we won't require movement joints as we are fitting a decoupling membrane and are leaving perimeter movement all around the floors ??? I will upload a quick plan of the areas ,thanks for your time

image.jpg

H

hmtiling

British standard says min 3mm joint in heated floor but Imo you could get away with 2mm if your tiles allow.
You should,Imo, follow guidance on separating the floor into bays no more than 40m2 which can be done with colour coded silicone instead of unsightly expansion joints.
Hope this helps

James

TF
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the replies,and yes moisture content is all within specs to tile,it has been down for about 16weeks an heating has all been run up to operating temps slowly each day ,once I have removed all laitaince I will do moisture check again I was thinking to put movement joints at each door threshold would this be ok ? Thanks

O

Old Mod

Doorways for sure, yes.
The only other place could be argued is a line between the top right of the staircase on the plan, over to the bi folds.
I've done one last Christmas that's very similar, did not bother with the one dissecting the living area and one year on it's still intact.
I know this because I was there sat morning tiling the cloak room.

James

TF
Reaction score
Hi 3fall,ive been talking to a freind today who was on site an has said exactly what u have just mention

James

TF
Reaction score
Do u think i will be fine with 2mm grout line ? And as for the movment joint what whould be best choice an also anyone recomend good addy for the porcelain to the ditra ? I was going to see what tm does as i have to order anhyfix but dont want rapid set as i am slow an fussy for levels an zero lippage .lol .thanks for everyones time am input

H

hmtiling

Standard setaflex for on top of ditra. Nice gear. Have you considered using Dural micro joint instead of a pre-formed one?

Reply to Advise plz guys in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks