Discuss Advise needed re mould and tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Sharon

We had a leak behind the shower in our bathroom, when they removed the tiles they found some mold. It has since been confirmed as not being black mold. This was 5 days ago.
They attended today to "fix" the wall, the apparently did a mold treatment with some kind of foam or paste - I wasn't actually in the room when this was done and did not see it being put on the wall.
In stead of retiling, they put a new plastic looking wall up over the affected area.
my question is this - when a mold treatment is put on a wall, is there a guideline to how long the treatment needs to be on there / needs to dry and do its job before they can cover it up again? I was expecting them to do the treatment and then making sure that it had worked and all the mold is gone before just covering it again?
or this normal practice?

bathroom wall.jpg up close of mould.jpg

Q

Qwerty

Mould has to ALL go. Scrape, brush, bleach or hand grenade. It needs to be gone before it's covered over

O

One Day

we live in military accommodation, so "they" are Carillion Amey subcontractors.
I suspected so! The mould should have been treated properly and allowed to dry completely. Covering over with mermaid board or whatever they've used, will definitely promote regrowth.
How did they confirm its not black mould?

S

Sharon

I suspected so! The mould should have been treated properly and allowed to dry completely. Covering over with mermaid board or whatever they've used, will definitely promote regrowth.
How did they confirm its not black mould?
The guy that came to have a look touched to prove to me it was dry. Said if it was black mould it would be slimy.

L

LM

Everything contaminated with mould should have been replaced imo and with appropriate backer board not like the ply that is in the picture. I’d be concerned this mould treatment has been a fob off as I’d guess it’d be cheaper to replace what’s there than properly kill off the mould which would be rooted deep into the structure of the plywood.

S

Sharon

I have been advised that they did a fungal spray and clean after shaving the wood back. Then they applied a mold barrier, another wooden barrier and then the white plastic board. They advisd the new walking they used is used in commercial kitchens and his anti-bacterial. Time will tell if we have issues. Thank you to everyone that replied, helped me fight my case to the housing officer.

Reply to Advise needed re mould and tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks