Discuss Advice wanted for bathroom job in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Z

Zippy

Hi All,

Long term lurker, first time poster, so be gentle! Cracking site, picked up loads from here, so hats off to you all.

Ok I know you all like a bit of background, so a while ago I did a course after hating my office job and successfully doing some tiling jobs round the house and then for family and mates. I’ve had several paid tiling jobs since officially doing it full time but have been selective and worked within my means.

I’ve pushed the boat out on the latest one and before starting I want to get some advice if poss. It’s a bit of a two pronged query, so here goes.

It’s a bathroom job in the upstairs of a two storey conversion. Floor nice and easy so fine there and doing the splashy in the kitchen below, also no sweat there. The customer wants a brickbond feature wall and the shower enclosure area also tiled. All good so far. However the feature wall tapers in equally both sides at the top in line with the roof. At floor level it’s 3.4 meters wide and at the top it’s 2.4 wide. Will this cause any issues with brickbond?

Second query relates to the shower enclosure. It’s in a corner so the customer wants the walled areas the tray covers at 90 degrees to each other tiled. All fine. They have not got the enclosure bought yet and what I’m wondering is if I just tile plumb in line with the edge of the tray both sides that’s going to be ok or would you overlap that a bit?

Sorry for the lengthy post, any advice appreciated!

Zippy

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Overlap a bit is safest.
With regards to the tapering walls just set out as usual and cut to suit - doesn't make a difference that it's on the half bond.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Setting out ( as per usual from the centre of the wall ) should result in simetrical cuts. Tiling to the face of the tray should also be fine.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If you just tile to the edge of the tray then make sure you know the type and positioning of the profiles for enclosure. Can be okay with some but others can look bad (profile ends, tiniest visible slither of tile followed by edging trim) not a good look.

Reply to Advice wanted for bathroom job in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks