Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice required: tiles lifting after 18 months - being told it's 'house movement' in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Australia
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I would really appreciate some advice from those who know more about tile than myself.

We had an ensuite fitted in Feb 2017 - including tile for recessed shower, backsplash around sink/toilet fitted units, and floor.

At the time of install, much of the work of the first tilers to complete the job had to be removed, because it was messy/cut wrong. This was the backsplash and one of the shower walls (of three).

Two months ago (16 months after install) we noticed the tile where you step out of the shower was making a sort of crunchy noise. It is tiled slightly under the shower, with a piece of pvc on top to cover the gap between floor and shower tray. We removed this and could see the edge tile was loose.

I contacted the bathroom showroom about this - and they had the plumber who installed it contact me. He contacted me (eventually) with the number of a tiler who he said would come out and inspect/report back. Another month later (as the tiler was very busy and holidays etc), the tiler came out. He knocked on the floor at various points, listening to it, looking at the grout etc.

He said he wasn't 100% sure of the cause - possibly that they hadn't been fitted properly (I think he said the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was dabbed on? The tiles sounded hollow?), or that the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ hadn't taken to the tile (there was none spread on the back of the tile that he lifted for example, only on the floor).

There were cracks all over the grouting of the floor, and the 'crunching' sound is audible at various points now - around the toilet, near the door, etc. Seems to correlate to the places we walk on most.

He said he'd let the plumber know it would all need replaced, and then get back in touch to arrange.

This week a new tiler contacted me to arrange a time to come out (via text). It turns out the plan is to only fix the tiles that are actively loose. This is not what the tiler they sent out recommended.

On querying this, the bathroom showroom argued that the tiles became loose 'almost certainly' due to house movement. 'It happens, you know'.

I have google searched this and it seems unlikely. But they are refusing to budge on it so I am a bit stuck.

I would be very grateful for the thoughts of other tilers etc on this please.

OP
I
Reaction score
I should add that it was a different tiler that replaced the original poor tile, and then another different tiler that inspected the floor.

The install was arranged via the bathroom showroom but the actual payment for install was given to the plumber, who appears to subcontract the tilers.

F

Flintstone

There trying to fob you off I’m afraid. Fixed wrongly and probably prepared wrongly. I hope you can get a satisfactory outcome

H

hmtiling

What is the substrate ? Sounds to me like it was fixed poorly to chipboard. Get the bathroom company to explain the fixing methods and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ used

OP
I
Reaction score
I believe they fitted plywood to the floor which was then tiled upon. It's a reasonably new build (13 years) so that large chipboard type floor rather than wooden floorboards.

W

Waluigi

The ply wood might’ve been ok provided the chipboard was secured properly. What tends to happen in Bathrooms is that the chipboard is partially taken up to adjust pipe work etc and then not put back or replaced properly.

Most pros nowadays also use a tile backer board instead of ply.

Being truthful, the whole lot needs to come up so that you know exactly what’s underneath.

I tend to rip floors up completely if I can. Ply wood down and then tikebacker board on top.

D

Dumbo

As far as I am aware your problem from a legal point of view is with the installer and not the bathroom showroom as you paid the plumber and therefore your contract is with the plumber and not the showroom or even the tiler . But check this as i am a tiler and not a litigating solicitor

Reaction score
As far as I am aware your problem from a legal point of view is with the installer and not the bathroom showroom as you paid the plumber and therefore your contract is with the plumber and not the showroom or even the tiler . But check this as i am a tiler and not a litigating solicitor
yeah but what a sharp mind you have,I think you know stuff .

D

Don White

Well, I have done some wooden tile over my floor and wall year (dark abstract brown on floor and a light cream shade on wall)on my dining room. But it starts to falls apart in march - some cracks that made horrible sound (and also did not felt good when my guest commented on that). So I decided to hire a service and got the job done. Honestly truly impressed what they have done to my dining room. (A solid maroon design with pale-creamish wall - a bit shiny - like you can feel the quality when you walk on those floors or touch the wall. If you want to know the exact wood wool acoustic panel walls I ordered I'll put a link here Acoustic Wall Art | Timber Acoustic Wall Panels - Panels for Walls - https://tinyurl.com/y9sh9345. Not trying to promote - just a satisfying customer :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advice required: tiles lifting after 18 months - being told it's 'house movement' in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock