Discuss Advice Required - Material Spec in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

James M

I'm looking for advice on product regarding a bathroom installation.

I'm unsure at the moment whether the tile will be ceramic or porcelain.

I've currently got an 18mm moisture resistant chipboard screwed @ 150-300mm centres to joists and noggins.

I've been advised that laying a self levelling flexible screed, followed by 12mm hardibacker/cementitous board and screwed to floor while screed is still wet. Scrim tape joints in hardibacker @3mm and fill with flexible waterproof adhesive.

Could anyone advise if this is good advice as I seen to be getting mixed feedback from suppliers?

Would a self levelling waterproof screed be required above the hardibacker to act as the DPM?

Can anyone recommend product for this?

Cheers, Jim

H

hmtiling

Hardie fixed to spec then levelling compound. Not sure whay a dpm would be needed. If a wet room use a tanking compound or waterproof memrane

Reaction score
You could forget the levelling compound screw down the hardiebacker the tank all the joints with Ardex WPC ,had the Ardex rep in a couple of weeks ago and said they were compatible

D

Dumbo

Are you doing a wet room?
You should be fixing the Hardie on flexible adhesive and tape ing the joints using an alkali resistant Scrim tape and then trowelling over the scrim to a width of 150mm using the flat edge of the trowel . Oh and screw the boards as well .

J

James M

Its not a wet room. Expecting typical water splashes from bath/shower screen etc.

When using adhesive what's the best product used to prep the chipboard. I've read on here that SBR/Febond etc is not advisable?

Is the hardibacker/tanking to the joints sufficient protection from water penetration.

Thanks for the advice.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would fix the hardie on flex addy which should also help get level (Within reason ).

Scrim and trowel joints. Tank in wet room or better use non cement board. Tile with a flex addy

Are there any level issues?

Reaction score
sorry I would screw the backer broad to the floorboards then Ardex WPC on the internal corners & tape the joints also. is what you wanted me to explain,3 fall

O

Old Mod

sorry I would screw the backer broad to the floorboards then Ardex WPC on the internal corners & tape the joints also. is what you wanted me to explain,3 fall
No Andy, I was wondering why you would only tank joints and transitions with WPC?
As Harry said, (above) HB isn’t waterproof, surely it’d be a waste of your effort and money.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Also I believe hardie should be
Fitted like this
• Apply a supporting bed of mortar or modified thinset to subfloor using a 1/4” square-notched trowel.
• Embed HardieBacker cement board firmly and evenly in the wet mortar.
• Use the fastener pattern as a guide. Fasten HardieBacker cement board with specified nails or screws (as listed in “Materials Required”) every 8” over the entire surface. Keep fasteners between 3/8" and 3/4" from board edges and 2" from board corners.

O

Old Mod

Also I believe hardie should be
Fitted like this
• Apply a supporting bed of mortar or modified thinset to subfloor using a 1/4” square-notched trowel.
• Embed HardieBacker cement board firmly and evenly in the wet mortar.
• Use the fastener pattern as a guide. Fasten HardieBacker cement board with specified nails or screws (as listed in “Materials Required”) every 8” over the entire surface. Keep fasteners between 3/8" and 3/4" from board edges and 2" from board corners.
Who’s been read the American spec then? :D:p

Reply to Advice Required - Material Spec in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks