Discuss Advice Please in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

richie b

Encaustic reclaimed tile for splash back. Would like advice please. I take it they need sealing befor and after grouting. What to cut with would grinder do the job, would it be a good idea to wet then back butter ? 20160601_190800.jpg 20160601_190807.jpg 20160601_190815.jpg

F

Flintstone

Some one will probably come on and tell me I'm wrong but, when I have used these in the past I have done exactly what you are suggesting. Wet the back, they will suck it up like a sponge, then back butter. Seal before and after grouting. Maybe use something to strip them back or clean them up first?

F

Flintstone

Can I ask where you got them and how much they cost? I've Been looking on and off for my own house

T

Time's Ran Out

If the 3 pieces you show are a representation of the rest delivered, then you've got your work cut out to provide a decent job.
As for sealing them it will depend on how porous the surface is. Being reclaimed they've no doubt had years of surface treatment , but I always seal new encaustic when I get them out of the box and before fixing.
Check the weight issues and surface type that the splash back is going on.

R

richie b

thanks timeless john, those three in the picture are by far the worst of the lot, really they were sent as spares, they are only going two high onto solid walls so weight is fine, as for sealing i think as you said befor fixing will be the option i will go for.

Reply to Advice Please in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks