Discuss Advice please re puddle on wetroom floor? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

W

WENDYSTEW

Hi All, I was after some advice please?
I have had a Tradewetrooms Tough-x wetroom proforma fitted and porcelain tiles fitted over. After using the shower the first time, I was left with a puddle on one side of the drain and it stays there permanently.
I called back the bathroom fitter, who fit the tray and he sub-contracted tiling to the tiler. He says it is normal, very common, to have a puddle, for not all of the water to drain away. That is why they call it a wetroom floor, he says. He showed me photos of other bathrooms with puddles and said I just need to get a squidgy and push the water down after showering.
Is he correct? Or trying to pull the wool?
Trade Wetrooms tell me their trays have 50% more fall than many others.
I said I wasn't happy and he said if he comes back and redoes the floor, there is no guarantee that I wont have a puddle somewhere else. He said it shows he fit it correctly, as water wasn't overflowing out the door.
Background on this job, the 1st time the tiler tiled the whole bathroom, he did such a bad job, left the floor with sharp edges, cracked & chipped tiles, huge gaps, the bathroom fitter wasn't happy with it, so he pulled up the entire floor and many of the wall tiles and got a new tiler in, but because there was an underfloor heated mat laid, he couldn't get all the adhesive up, so left it down and put loads more adhesive on top of old and therefore this raised the floor. This left the drain cover too low and the tiles round the drain were higher and sharp, so he built up around the drain with grouting and got a new drain cover.
I wonder if, in doing this, it has caused the puddle problem? Advice would be much appreciated please?

IMG_6545.JPG IMG_6555.JPG IMG_6595.JPG IMG_7257.JPG IMG_7298.JPG IMG_7329.JPG

OP
F

Flintstone

All round, not great. If you own a spirit level, place is on the floor where the puddle ends (furthest from the drain) and hold it level towards the drain and see how much lower the drain is, - how much fall there is. My guess is none. There shouldn’t be a puddle

OP
W

WENDYSTEW

All round, not great. If you own a spirit level, place is on the floor where the puddle ends (furthest from the drain) and hold it level towards the drain and see how much lower the drain is, - how much fall there is. My guess is none. There shouldn’t be a puddle
Unfortunately I don't, maybe it would be worth me buying one to prove my point. Trouble is, I don't have much faith in him being able to rectify the problem. Thanks for your reply.

OP
W

WENDYSTEW

Unfortunately I don't, maybe it would be worth me buying one to prove my point. Trouble is, I don't have much faith in him being able to rectify the problem. Thanks for your reply.
I’m of the opinion that if they cannot do it right the first or second time, they probably won’t do it right the third time!
Any advice anyone? It has already cost me an arm and a leg and many stressful times. What should I do now?

OP
G

GoneGuy

Buy a spirit level as @Localtiler suggested and you will see what is wrong and show the fitter,
Explain a wetroom does not leave big puddles everywhere as the fall in the tray and tiles move the water to the drain.
It hasn’t been installed correctly and he should rectify the problem again

OP
W

WENDYSTEW

Buy a spirit level as @Localtiler suggested and you will see what is wrong and show the fitter,
Explain a wetroom does not leave big puddles everywhere as the fall in the tray and tiles move the water to the drain.
Thank you for confirming, So categorically it is not considered "normal", for there to be any puddles left on a wetroom shower floor using a proforma tray? As electrician was also there at the time and he spouted up "yes I have puddles on my floor and I have to use a squidgy" The Tiler also blamed the 600x300mm porcelain tiles, saying they were really difficult to cut. I am just concerned that his tiler wont be able to put it right, he has already had 2 attempts!!!!

OP
W

WENDYSTEW

Thank you for confirming, So categorically it is not considered "normal", for there to be any puddles left on a wetroom shower floor using a proforma tray? As electrician was also there at the time and he spouted up "yes I have puddles on my floor and I have to use a squidgy" The Tiler also blamed the 600x300mm porcelain tiles, saying they were really difficult to cut. I am just concerned that his tiler wont be able to put it right, he has already had 2 attempts!!!!
ARE THERE ANY TILERS FROM BRISTOL ON HERE PLEASE?

OP
W

WENDYSTEW

Hi Adey, I borrowed a level and you are right, the side where the puddle is, is level!! Also looking at the pic of the falls on the tray, on the website, the tiles are not cut slanted in the same positions. I am going to call him back!!!! Thank you.

OP
Q

Qwerty

If it is an 1800 long former, then straight away it is clear that the issue is also with how the envelope cuts have been made. They're not long enough. Here is an 1800 long former I fitted recently. See how the envelope cuts have been taken to the far corners and straight to the drain....

20170901_125139.jpg

OP
W

WENDYSTEW

Oh Yes!!!! thank you, I hadn't realised this until I looked again at the photo of the tray.. Thank you all of you.
Also I remember that the bathroom fitter spread latex or screeding on one end of the tray (the end that doesn't drain) just before the tiler, tiled it for 2nd time, someone has said to me that this might damage the tray? Also I don't know why he did it?

OP
D

Dumbo

I would be surprised if this would damage the tray but it may indicate that tray wasn't put in level and they were building one end up . When I say level the outer edges of the tray should be level .

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi

How are you getting on?

OP
W

WENDYSTEW

Hi

How are you getting on?
Thanks for your interest, I spoke to Consumers Advice and they said that if I have lost faith in the contractor, then I have the right to have it redone by someone else and original contractor has to pay. I have just sent off a letter to they guy telling him this, this is what I was advised.
Now I need to find a tiler, that is proficient in laying wet-room floors and isn't put off by porcelain tiles, in Bristol, any takers????

Reply to Advice please re puddle on wetroom floor? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer