Discuss Advice please heavy porcelain tile under cill reveal above shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Chris G

Hi , bit of advice if possible please . I’m tiling a shower cubical in 250x900 porcelain tiles . There is a step out at the top of the shower which requires fitting two full tiles to the under cill/reveal . Considering how heavy these tiles are and would not want them falling and badly injuring someone or worse can anyone advise on the best possible prep and adhesive to use . Substrate is newly plastered plasterboard .
Thanks

F

Flintstone

Those tiles shouldn’t be going onto any plaster, chris. Is that what all the walls are ?

C

Chris G

You can't exceed 20kg per m2 on to plastered walls....
How heavy are your tiles..?
The under cill/reaveal is 1400x250 , not sure exactly how hea

Hi Andy, not sure exactly how heavy two tiles would equate to until I go back to job tomorrow , but the under cill/reveal is approx 250(d)x1400(w) . Not goin to exceed 20kg/mtr

F

Flintstone

Hi Chris, if the tiles are regular porcelain, 8 - 10mm thick for example, they will exceed 20kg per m

O

One Day

Mechanically fix (and bond) wedi board into the lintel, using multiple anchors. Then ensure a solid thin bed of decent adhesive.
That will make sure they aren't going to pull the plaster off as gravity takes hold.

O

One Day

thankyou for the advice impish , I’m going to see about this option.
Even a 6mm wedi/jacko/kerdi board will take the weight.
Concrete lintels can take a fair bit of drilling though.
I'd suggest SDS 8mm bit and these plugs:
Fischer High Performance Universal Plugs UX8 4.5-6 x 50mm 100 Pack - https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/fischer-high-performance-universal-plugs-ux8-4-5-6-x-50mm-100-pack/20669

Pushed in with a squirt of this:
Fischer FIP 300SF Polyester Styrene-Free Resin 300ml - https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/fischer-fip-300sf-polyester-styrene-free-resin-300ml/23386

Just charge it to the customer and explain it's neccessary.
They'll appreciate it.

Reply to Advice please heavy porcelain tile under cill reveal above shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks