Discuss Advice on using kerapoxy cq grout please in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

JON HUME

hi all
Any advice or tips on using Mapei Kerapoxy CQ grout please?
I haven’t used it before and I have to use it this week on an external patio area.
Many thanks, Jon

O

Old Mod

I’d do a test on some Off cuts first, see how it behaves. (Just call me Uncle Bob :))
Definitely have white emulsifying pads to hand.
Depending on how textured stone is, might be worth considering Bal grout protective sealer on it first.
I certainly wouldn’t mix a full tub and go for it.
Make sure when you mix sample up you follow ratio’s precisely.

J

JON HUME

Thanks, sorry to sound stupid but do you follow the normal grouting process but use emulsifying pads following after you have sponged off most of the residue??

O

Old Mod

Thanks, sorry to sound stupid but do you follow the normal grouting process but use emulsifying pads following after you have sponged off most of the residue??
Have you ever used an epoxy resin grout?
No question is stupid if you don’t know the answer.

O

Old Mod

No never used epoxy, only standard grouts.
Thanks
Oh ok, well you could have had an easier one to start with, for sure.
Make sure your stone is completely cleaned and dry before anything.
Seal it to saturation, don’t cut corners.
After assessing the grout release from your sample board, use Bal protective sealer, or not, as situation dictates.
A practise run is the only way you’ll find out how easily this resin releases from the surface of the stone.
Ok so you’ve watched the video and they quite clearly use white emulsifying pads.
I’d suggest not mixing a complete tub in one. Measure quants very carefully and maybe do 50% first time.
Once you’ve mixed it, do not stop for anything, you’re against the clock.
Have plenty of buckets of clean water ready. I don’t mean 1 or 2. And one white pad will not do, you’ll need a number of them and I cut mine in half. Epoxy clogs them very quickly.
Basically once you’ve used up your mix, start using white pads back at where you started. Be methodical. They will clog quickly, more fresh water you have the more life you’ll get out of the pads.
Circular motion, across the joints, never with.
Not too much water, and you will instantly feel when the grout residue on the surface releases.
When sponging clean after release, again across the joint, and one wipe per side of sponge before rinsing, do not be tempted to use the sponge anymore before you rinse. You just spread residue about if you do.
Have plenty of water, be methodical in your approach and you should be fine.
I’d check compatibility of grout with stone and with the specific cleaner too.
An epoxy grout float will be needed.
Call tech. Check suitability, and try to get email confirmation too.

J

JON HUME

Thanks so much 3_fall, that is absolutely what I needed. I’ll follow that and fingers crossed.
Many thanks
Jon

O

One Day

Thanks so much 3_fall, that is absolutely what I needed. I’ll follow that and fingers crossed.
Many thanks
Jon

If you follow that to the letter - no need for crossed fingers.
Skip any single part though, and you'll have a nightmare.
I promise!

J

JON HUME

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. It went well, I think the sun helped and also used warm water.
upload_2018-6-22_6-44-56.jpeg

upload_2018-6-22_6-45-19.jpeg

Reply to Advice on using kerapoxy cq grout please in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks