Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice on replacing one tile in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I've just had my bathroom done by my plumber Dad and paid a lot of money for a very good tiler to do the tile. However, after on returning to my bathroom I've discovered that the tiler has laid a tile right in the centre of the bathroom that looks like it's got a big white stain on it. I know the tiles have got some marbling on them but nowhere else has this big white splodge.

I've left it a week and I still can't bear to look at it so it has to come up. My Dad is a half decent tiler but is not in the league of the person who did it originally but I'm looking for advice on how he can get it up without cracking any of the others and laying a new one at the same level as the tiles around it.

It's getting to the point I can barely go in the bathroom as I can't look at the tile anymore and would rather rip up the whole floor and start again.

20180601_001105.jpg

D

Dumbo

I've just had my bathroom done by my plumber Dad and paid a lot of money for a very good tiler to do the tile. However, after on returning to my bathroom I've discovered that the tiler has laid a tile right in the centre of the bathroom that looks like it's got a big white stain on it. I know the tiles have got some marbling on them but nowhere else has this big white splodge.

I've left it a week and I still can't bear to look at it so it has to come up. My Dad is a half decent tiler but is not in the league of the person who did it originally but I'm looking for advice on how he can get it up without cracking any of the others and laying a new one at the same level as the tiles around it.

It's getting to the point I can barely go in the bathroom as I can't look at the tile anymore and would rather rip up the whole floor and start again.

View attachment 98947
Do you have under floor heating

OP
I
Reaction score
No underfloor heating. My Dad is not a fan of the tiler and would rather not have to deal with him if possible. But if worst comes to worst and he can't sort it he will give in and ring him.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
sara-rug-dscn9094-2.jpg

A nice rug maybe? Or call the tiler and see if he bends over backwards to help or is the kind to take money and run.

I've done jobs where after I've completely finished and seen such a tile and thought does that look weird or if it just me? I leave the room and come back in and all I see is the tile I can't bear it so I get my hammer and smash it in, then theres no choice, I've cost myself half a days extra work for free but that's just me.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
I have done this many times before and the last time with random length rustic oak flooring that had dark and light planks, lounge hall and diningroom I would come across some that were much darker than others and saved them all up and fitted them all in one room, because just like that light mark it stood out like a mistake.
So yes it would bug me too.
I think you need to call the tiler first and explain nicely saying its not his fault - done a great job - blah blah. And only then if he wont do it then tackle it yourself.
As a DIYer I would get my drimmel out and cut slots in the tile and remove bit by bit from the middle working towards the grout then try and rake out enough grout to get that part of the tile up without lifting the one next to it, then scrape away enough https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to get the level, you need to make sure you get the same make of grout for colour match.
A pro may have a better way to remove.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A Dremel might not be the best choice, i would Stanley knife the grout out and SDS 7mm drill bit and with kid gloves spiral with way out from the centre. This will blow apart the tile and allow you to start using a hammer and chisel. Go really easy with the drill, don't go plunging it through the floor.

Stefan

TF
Reaction score
You need to cut the grout lines with an angle grinder and have a vacuum to collect the dust while cutting. If you don't have the tools then you're better off just calling the installer and making him aware of the issue. If I installed that I would come out and fix it.

Reply to Advice on replacing one tile in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock