Discuss Advice on floor prep prior to tiling please in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Aki Nawaz

Hello everybody.

My first post on here; any advice and pointers greatly appreciated.

Ground floor extension c45m2.
Wet UFH system under 50mm of calcium screed (thermio plus).
Screed went down 4 weeks ago (sanded down after 2 weeks).
Final tile is a 600 x 300 porcelain.

I have had several tilers around and am getting conflicting views on how to approach this job. One tiler has said that ditra matting is a must between the screed and tile. While others have said not required. Also seem to be variation in the adhesive; some say a cementious one as ok; others not.

Any thoughts on the need for ditra matting, the type of adhesive and any other pointers are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
The tiling of these screeds is dictated by moisture levels in the screeds and this process cannot be short cut. Moisture readings MUST be taken with a suitable metre. We would always recommend the use of a gypsum based adhesive as you remove the chance of ettringite forming which will cause the tiles to fail. For a gypsum adhesive it needs to be below 85%RH (relative humidity).Cement based adhesive can be used but not till the screed is below 75%RH. Theses screeds will always fail if short cuts are taken. If you or any one else contact me at Tilemaster I will email you our full specification for preparing and tiling to an anhydrite screed. I will repeat myself "this process cannot be short cut". Ditra is always recommended onto under floor heating but with porcelain we do not insist on it if you are using a good quality gypsum adhesive.

A

Aki Nawaz

Thanks Glynn. I was aware of the moisture levels needing to be below a certain point. Thanks for reiterating and emphasising how critical they are to ensure the job is a good one. Have had a quick look on your website and have also sent you an email. Thanks again.

Reply to Advice on floor prep prior to tiling please in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks