Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice needed - poor tiling job, dot and dab not to BS5385 in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
S

Soso

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
If you have any spare tiles remove one tile to prove it . I watched that rogue traders guy core drill a drive then get the contractor back . When the contractor arrived he said if you cut that drive in half you would this and this . Rogue trader guy said "funny you should say that " and it went from there .

Luckily, he has left some tiles under the sink behind the vanity ungrouted. I can stick almost my entire little finger behind one of them ! Hard to see behind the others though without removing the vanity. We also saw major gaps behind the mosaic to such an extent that whole sections of tile were not secure and he said that it was nothing to worry about and that the grout would seep in behind the tiles and it would all be fine ! But if we can get more evidence like you suggest i think it would be a good idea for sure... Trouble at the moment is that whatever we say, he comes back with a lie to cover himself. Not a great situation.

muzungu

TF
Reaction score
actually he is not a tiler that is evident on the grout finnish alone.Does all the grout look like that or is it just in one place.
I am only DIY and having just done my kitchen, utility room and cloakroom; tiled for the first time and have now a new found respect for pro tilers. Think I ended up with a good job but it took me about 10 times as long (literally) than a pro. That grout finish is appalling! This guy can't be a tiler surely?

OP
S

Soso

TF
Reaction score
I am only DIY and having just done my kitchen, utility room and cloakroom; tiled for the first time and have now a new found respect for pro tilers. Think I ended up with a good job but it took me about 10 times as long (literally) than a pro. That grout finish is appalling! This guy can't be a tiler surely?
Much respect for doing your own ! I really want to learn this too. He charged us a lot for that job and keeps telling us he has done million pound properties. The tiles he bought arent even the ones we wanted...went off and bought cheaper tiles and must have been hoping we wouldn't find out.

T

Time's Ran Out

@Soso -I’am sure you have a solid case for not accepting this work, but to allow him to supply a tile you didn’t choose takes the biscuit.

OP
S

Soso

TF
Reaction score
@Soso -I’am sure you have a solid case for not accepting this work, but to allow him to supply a tile you didn’t choose takes the biscuit.
He took tiles out of boxes so we didn't see boxes, refused to provide receipt and in invoice, displayed price of tiles we had asked for rather that the alternative cheaper ones he supplied and we found out about it when we got suspicious he wouldn't supply receipt so did more investigating. We always thought the tiles looked browner but we trusted him.

W

WC Tiler

More bloody shoddy craftsmanship ... Dow get why people dot and dab.. my 4 year old could grout better then that. Dunno how people can leave a customer with work in that state ...

Reaction score
Never mind British Standards, that's a poor job and he should be ashamed! Perhaps you should show him our comments, although from his attitude and behaviour I'm not sure you'll achieve a resolution no matter what you do.

OP
S

Soso

TF
Reaction score
Never mind British Standards, that's a poor job and he should be ashamed! Perhaps you should show him our comments, although from his attitude and behaviour I'm not sure you'll achieve a resolution no matter what you do.
He is awful. Think he is hoping we get scared away. I can only imagine if my parents who are in their 70s we're dealing with it, he probably would have succeeded in scaring them off.

OP
S

Soso

TF
Reaction score
Just an update to say we won our case in full against this builder and the judge found the tile to be well below standard and awarded us all our money back.

They made the mistake of denying dot and dab on their witness statement also and saying they would never use it. They didn't know that we already had video evidence of the tiles being taken off and it clearly showing they did indeed use dot and dab. It was so bad that our new builder removed one tile and the whole wall of tiles came lose as there was little to no adhesion to the wall at all.

Thank you to everyone on this forum who set us on the right track regarding what the standards are and what is and is not acceptable as a professional tiler.

Reply to Advice needed - poor tiling job, dot and dab not to BS5385 in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock