Discuss Advice Needed Please in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Walshy

Hi,

I have taken up the tiles in a bathroom floor and underneath seems to be ditra matting fixed with tile adhesive directly to floor boards.

I can pull the ditra away but it leaves some of the felt backing and the vast majority of the adhesive on the floorboards.

What would you advise as to the best way out of this issue. I want to install underfloor heating and tiles once the underlying floor is suitably prepared.

Trying to get the old adhesive off the floor will be very time consuming is there a better way to proceed?

Should I just rip out the floorboards and lay a Ply or floorboard replacement?

Thanks for any help in advance

S

Spare Tool

You have to decide whether spending your time chisling adhesive off could be better spent taking up and replacing the whole floor...10mm insulation boards glued and screwed before ufh and a thin crackmat would normally cover most situations....gotta get that floor clean or replace before hand though :)

O

One Day

I'm guessing it's a relatively small area.
The polyethylene fleece left behind will bond well enough to fresh adhesive (if it's clean - not dusty).
I would bond insulation boards with a decent s1 adhesive and also fasteners into the floor.
Then do your thing...!

S

Spare Tool

That lot from Middlesbrough....or is it jordies... "danny know wat I'm ganee do" etc etc : ) long story just explaining the 'uncanny '

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Walshy

Thanks for the replys, Would you bond the isulation boards on top of the old adhesive /ditra backing or does that need to be removed first Impish? If so does it all need to be primed first? (there are a few small area where there is little or no felt backing). Your right it is a small floor (6m2). If I decide to replace the whole floor would 18mm ply be the recomended way to go and would that then need some tile backer boards on top or be good to go as it is?

Apologies for the question bombardment

O

One Day

If you're happy that the old adhesive is stuck fast, then it's a certainty the ditra underlayment will be also, so just bond straight onto it. If it's dusty, vac it but I wouldn't prime it. It's polyethylene (I seem to recall) and the bond is brilliant.

W

Walshy

Ok, thanks again. I'll remove the rest of the ditra today and make a decision from there. If I do decide to replace the floor would an 18mm ply replacement then need backer boards also or be good to go on its own?

Reply to Advice Needed Please in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks