Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice Needed - Please be gentle! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

C

Chunkydoc

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Greetings and Salutations.

As above, looking for some guidance/advice really.
Just in the process of a loft conversion and we decided on a wet shower area.
Ordered this kit:

Wet Room Kit & Shower Screen 1200 x 900mm CENTRE Drain | Wetrooms Online - https://www.wetrooms-online.com/wet-rooms-online-store/wet-room-kits/wetbase-standard-wet-room-kit-and-shower-screen/wet-room-walk-in-shower-tray-kit-centre-drain-1200-x-900mm-shower-screen-detail.html

Plus some Mosaics from Topps for the floor (Shapes Hexagon Unglazed 23x26mm)

Now, and this is where it gets interesting.
Builder sub-contracted the tile. Said tiler arrived to do the floor, did it and left. Being incredibly picky, I went to investigate and noticed the tiles were BELOW the drain level. Apparently he couldn't put anymore https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ in as it would have come through the joints, so this prompted a phone call to the builder who said he'd resolve. His resolution was to remove the tiles 300mm around the drain raise the level and put the tiles back.

To be honest, it's all a mess. I have areas of standing water because I have low spots and when the lows spots are overwhelmed the water is heading away from the drain into the opposite bloody corner.

With the experience you fine folk have, is it a lost cause and it all needs ripping up and doing again?

Apologies if there is a lack of information, happy to answer any questions.

OP
C

Chunkydoc

The drain height was set, though there was an adapter to make it higher if needed.
No pictures on me, but will take some tonight and post them up.

Thanks.

OP
D

Dumbo

If I had turned and saw drain was higher than tiles and realised it couldn't be lowered I would of stopped at that point . Probably looking at lifting floor and redoing even if you can lower drain .

OP
C

Chunkydoc

If I had turned and saw drain was higher than tiles and realised it couldn't be lowered I would of stopped at that point . Probably looking at lifting floor and redoing even if you can lower drain .

Alas, the drain can't be lowered. This was the first thing I asked.
It's all rather frustrating this close to xmas!

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

It's frustrating anytime of the year!
Are they extremely thin mosaics? Without compromising the falls within the tray they should have been built up to the outlet level before being fixed. It's no good blaming the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ thickness that shows a lack of experience by the fixer.
Any area of standing water need to be resolved so keep on to your builder until your satisfied ( didn't use happy).

OP
M

MTiler

Is the preformed shower base suitable for mosaics? Some bases arent suitable for mosaics under 30mm because of point loading.

OP
F

Flintstone

There's no excuses on the tilers part here, if he couldn't Acheive what's required then he shouldn't have stuck a tile down. I would get the lot up and start again. I'll bet the tiler thought sod it not my problem and didn't want to loose his days wage. What size are the mosaics

OP
D

Dumbo

There's no excuses on the tilers part here, if he couldn't Acheive what's required then he shouldn't have stuck a tile down. I would get the lot up and start again. I'll bet the tiler thought sod it not my problem and didn't want to loose his days wage. What size are the mosaics
Your not wrong

OP
B

Bill

Even the Topps Tiles CGI photo has the drain higher than the tiles for this product...........the mind boggles.

Shapes Hexagon Matt White 23x26mm Mosaic Tile | Topps Tiles - http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod45336/shapes-hexagon-matt-white-23x26mm-mosaic-tile.html

Anyway, the best solution is to rip out and start again.

You need to describe what is the floor height outside the shower (is the whole floor tiled in this mosaic or is it a different tile)

Photos of the whole room would be beneficial for a distance evaluation to help solve the problem.

OP
C

Chunkydoc

Morning all.
Thanks for the replies, apologies for only responding now.

I've taken some pictures that you can see here:
https://goo.gl/photos/LH2mLPQ2uoTwxbKQ6

quite happy to take more, though I'm coming round to that the fact that it'll need ripping up and doing again

@Localtiler The individual mosaics are 20mm wide, not sure how think and don't have any to measure I'm afraid.

@MissTiler I spoke to the company that supplied, and they stated mosaics were fine.

OP
O

Old Mod

@MissTiler I spoke to the company that supplied, and they stated mosaics were fine.
When you enquirer about mosaics, did you specify the size you were using?
As Sharon mentioned, it can be a very important question, some are not suitable for anything less than 50 x 50mm.
What's the former made from, I've looked at the spec and can't find much information at all.
It would normally need to be a resin former for mosaic that small.

OP
C

Chunkydoc

When you enquirer about mosaics, did you specify the size you were using?
As Sharon mentioned, it can be a very important question, some are not suitable for anything less than 50 x 50mm.
What's the former made from, I've looked at the spec and can't find much information at all.
It would normally need to be a resin former for mosaic that small.

It looked like many layers of something similar to fibre glass, but it didn't have the hardness of fiberglass.
Almost like a polystyrene, but much harder. I could see the fibres set in alternating layers, cross shape across each other.

Mosaics - alas not :(

OP
B

Bill

Morning all.
Thanks for the replies, apologies for only responding now.

I've taken some pictures that you can see here:
https://goo.gl/photos/LH2mLPQ2uoTwxbKQ6

Are you sure they didn't fit the former upside down?

From the photos, the floor looks to be tiled well but the problem has arisen from yourself, the builder, the tile shop and the tiler not communicating about the floor covering - the tiles - this is why the drain plate was higher than the finished floor level. These tiles are not suitable for your floor with this particular shower tray former as the finished height of the drain doesn't suit the tiles. You could have had the floor screeded* to meet the depth for the mosaics to sit on but that would mean most, if not all of the floor, would need doing, which defeats the object of having preformed tray.

* by screeded I mean to flat trowel floor tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ in layers to create the height and to reform the falls of the tray. (not an easy job if you are under time constraints)

Probably the cheapest option would be to tile over the existing mosaics after digging out the redone 300mm to get some falls back to normal.

OP
C

Chunkydoc

Are you sure they didn't fit the former upside down?

Probably the cheapest option would be to tile over the existing mosaics after digging out the redone 300mm to get some falls back to normal.

Would that not damage the tray underneath?

Reply to Advice Needed - Please be gentle! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock