Discuss Advice needed for mosaic splash backs in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Rob70

TF
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for some tips on installing mosaic sheets, they are going to be installed in a kitchen as spashbacks. I'm looking for advice on planning and how to cut them in around sockets. Also how to get them flat to the wall without them dipping and bowing out. I think they are glass material but will update when I seen them as I'm installing them for my son,

Regards Rob

Q

Qwerty

What size are the mosaic pieces and how are they held together? (Paper faced, mesh etc)

They should be a doddle to cut around sockets.

Use a thin bed trowel for mosaics. There are mosaic backing sheets available to prevent slumping which require a slightly thicker bed of adhesive

M

MTiler

Just use a decent white cement based adhesive (do not use a rapid set) and they shouldnt slump, if you find they are then just cut the sheets in half. When going around sockets etc just cut sheets into sections, no need to struggle with a whole sheet. The wall needs to be completely flat you cant use adhesive to pack them out as youll only be using a small trowel and itll get messy. Trowel size will depend on size and thickness of mosaics. 3 or 4mm are common sizes.
Backer sheets arent worth the hassle, the adhesive will need to go though the mesh and make contact with he mosaics.
Use a grout float to pat the mosaics flat.

Sharon

Rob70

TF
Reaction score
These are the mosaics glass and stone.

IMG_0450.JPG

M

MTiler

Do the glass mosaics have a coating on the back? If so not all adhesives are compatible with the backing. Also the stone may need sealing.

Rob70

TF
Reaction score
Do the glass mosaics have a coating on the back? If so not all adhesives are compatible with the backing. Also the stone may need sealing.
Yes, I can confirm that the glass has a white backing paper on them, can you link me a suitable adhesive and sealer ?

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Dynamic, how did you cut around sockets etc ?

Use a Stanley knife to cut all the 'whole' tiles out that work in cuts at the socket. Once you have stuck your sheet on minus the socket tiles, go back and Mark the socket tiles, cut them and stick them.

Rob70

TF
Reaction score
Use a Stanley knife to cut all the 'whole' tiles out that work in cuts at the socket. Once you have stuck your sheet on minus the socket tiles, go back and Mark the socket tiles, cut them and stick them.

Thanks for advice, but whats best to use to cut the mosaics when finishing socket ?

Reply to Advice needed for mosaic splash backs in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks