• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Advice needed for limestone tile install in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I really would like some advice on installing limestone tiles on my kitchen floor.
After doing some research (i.e. google and talking to a few tilers) the order of install seems to be: ply, UFH, levelling compound/adhesive, white tile adhesive, limestone tile. Is this the right way? Should I also consider a mat?
The worry I have is that my kitchen floor (6m x 3m) has a slope of around 30mm. I do not want to level the floor completely as the step from the kitchen to the hallway will be too great and I have family who are wheel chair users.
I'm also looking to install Warmup for my UFH but my local Tile Giant has also said that they also manufacture ProWarm (the brand they sell). Has anyone heard similar? Are there any other UFH brands that you would recommend?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
JJ

OP
N
Reaction score
For the main part it's wooden floorboard but there is also a 0.5m section which is concrete.
Half of the kitchen in a single storey extension.
Towards the end of the extension is where there's the concrete section.

J

J Sid

insulation boards glued and screw (with washers) to all the floor.
prime floor
SLC to level the floor to get level
when dry prime floor
when dry lay ufh wires fixed per instructions, test circuit
SLC over wires
fix stone, trowel floor and back butter the tile using rapid white adhesive
wash and work clean as you go
once dry (next day) and still clean seal floor and let dry
grout and clean floor, leave clean and once dry (24 hrs) the final seal
get electrician to connect ufh to mains and after 7 days turn on as per ufh instructions

I would recommend using a porcelain tile if doing it yourself

OP
N
Reaction score
insulation boards glued and screw (with washers) to all the floor.
prime floor
SLC to level the floor to get level
when dry prime floor
when dry lay ufh wires fixed per instructions, test circuit
SLC over wires
fix stone, trowel floor and back butter the tile using rapid white adhesive
wash and work clean as you go
once dry (next day) and still clean seal floor and let dry
grout and clean floor, leave clean and once dry (24 hrs) the final seal
get electrician to connect ufh to mains and after 7 days turn on as per ufh instructions

I would recommend using a porcelain tile if doing it yourself

Thanks for the advice but I'm not going to be able to use SLC due to the slope. Would adhesive be fine to use?
Also has anyone use either the pro warm or warmup UFH?

J

J Sid

pro warm and warm up are both good

can't SLC , why? Don't you want it level?

the wires really need SLC over them to encapsulate the wires. If you have not done ufh wires before far to risky using adhesive imho

Bond

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Best to cover wires with fibre reinforced slc.
If you insist on covering with adhesive at least use a plastic trowel. ( less chance of nicking a wire).

U

Unused Account 1

Get a pro expensive if you mess it up ,good luck,especially with wheelchairs on stone

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks for the advice everyone. I went into my local topps tiles and they were recommending using the BAL ptb fibre plus. They advised that I could put that straight over the UFH and would not need a SLC. Does anyone recommend that approach?

D

Dumbo

No . That is a tile shop approach so it is not so expensive to sell you ufh and a lot of diy are wary of doing slc. You may already have ufh but they cant switch of from that approach . Also be aware slc doesn't self level .

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks.
I spoke to a WarmUp rep yesterday and they advised that the order for the install should be: ply over floorboard, SLC, insulation board, dcm pro mat and cable, adhesive and tile.
What brands/type of SLC or adhesive would you guys recommend?

F

Flintstone

There is too much confusion here about what your wanting to do, seeking advice from different shops selling different brands is not helping. The floors sloping ? Is it flat? Does it need making level. firstly forget any ply wood.

Insulation board fixed on a bed of tile adhesive and screwed with washers and joints taped.

Fit warm up DCM pro

Tile it with your chosen adhesive.

That takes away the need to level over wires and it also gives your uncoupling for the stone.

P

Perfect Tiling

Go with the reply listed above. I can understand that you want a flat floor but not a level floor as this would give too much of a step at the end of the room. A lot of older houses won't have level floors!!! Prep floor as he says...without plywood. I use BAL pourable adhesive as its white and can be used up to 25mm thick so it takes out any issues with different tile thicknesses. Remember to work clean so as not to stain the tiles and seal the top surface before grouting.....once grouted seal it all.

Reply to Advice needed for limestone tile install in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer