Discuss Advice how to deal with non paying customer in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gnrbytile

Hi,

I am after some honest advice regarding a job I done a few weeks ago for which I haven't been paid for.

I laid kitchen floor and wall splashback for client who had just had new kitchen fitted. I tiled upto legs of units so the kickbacks should fit on top.
Once finished asked customer if they were happy and if they had any issues let me know and I'll sort out.
Customer happy, left me positive review & asked me to invoice.
Heard nothing from her for few days and hadn't been paid. Tried contacting her for 2 days to no answer.
She then emailed me and said she wasn't happy as I hadn't tiled back far enough and there was gap between tiles and where kickback fell. Tried phoning again.. No answer.
Texted, emailed saying I would pop round and sort out any issues if I had messed anything up, however she said electrician who fitted the kitchen was going to sort it out.
I said if that's what she wanted take his rate from my invoice but I would like to go and have a look to see what the problem was... No answer.
Have I been stitched up by the electrician so he can get a bit more work, the reason I'm suspicious is that she sacked a plumber on the say so of this sparky because he said the plumber had fitted a radiator wrong so he would sort it out for the customer instead.
I've made every effort to try and resolve the issue myself and I'm a big enough person to admit if I've made a mistake, however something doesn't seem right.
Which leads me to... How would I get any money from customer if she won't even respond to me. As mentioned I'm happy to fix anything I may have done wrong but she clearly doesn't want me back. A building friend of mine thinks she is just trying to get money knocked off the bill. And even if she doesn't want to pay me for the floor surely she has to pay me for the splashback.

I've never had this issue before so any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm massively out of pocket.

Sorry for length of the post.

Thanks

Q

Qwerty

Send invoice by recorded delivery with clear terms of payment laid out. If no reply after a week then send again with a covering letter stating legal action will be taken if not paid. Then you would be well within your rights to take it up with the small claims court.

G

GoneGuy

As @Plan Tec Tiling said, or as it’s been so long send a letter recorded delivery stating you are taking legal action as you have not had payment since job finished x time ago.
Maybe look on the internet for a template letter you could use.
If you still don’t hear anything then it might be worth speaking to a solicitor or citizens advice centre

O

One Day

Send her a polite but formal letter with a final invoice.
Explain that you offered to rectify any issue but because she chose someone else (the electrician) to do work without giving you the chance, she gave up all rights to withhold payment or make deductions from your invoice. (which she can't lawfully do anyway).
Final option for you would be moneyclaim.gov which I've threatened to use twice but never actually had to.

Reaction score
I agree with the previous comments, if you still don't get any response from her following the official letter, you can take the case further with small claims court or equivalent.
Thankfully it doesn't happen very often if you do your best to be jonest and do a proper job, so in this case it seems you have all your reasons/rights to take it further.
Hope you get paid soon.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Might be worth you getting a few more forum posts under your belt quickly and we can all move this thread to the TilersForums Arms out of the public view.

Good luck either way.

G

Gnrbytile

Also with regard to @impish comment. Where would I look to find info on customers rights if they choose to get someone else.
Thanks agaon

O

One Day

Also with regard to @impish comment. Where would I look to find info on customers rights if they choose to get someone else.
Thanks agaon
If you Google "not happy with tradesmans work" you'll get several links, all state that the customer must make loads of attempts to get you back to rectify problems WELL BEFORE they can let you know in writing, that they will get someone else and present you with the invoice.
I'll find you an exact link later...

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
if you tiled up to the feet under the units the kick board cannot possibly fall short of the tiles unless they have moved something. Sounds to me like you are being taken for a mug. As Plan Tec Tiling said above and several others start the formal process with letter and invoice by recorded delivery. take it through small claims court if she doesn't pay... In situations like this I wish knee capping was also an option...

Reply to Advice how to deal with non paying customer in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks