Discuss Advice for these Wickes Tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

JLammy

Hi all,

I'll be looking tile my ensuite with these Wickes Tiles - I've done DIY tiling several years before, which turned out ok, so hopefully this will go smoothly!

Tiles: Wickes Callika Mist Grey Porcelain Tile 600 x 300mm | Wickes.co.uk - https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Callika-Mist-Grey-Porcelain-Tile-600-x-300mm/p/170284

Could I please have advice on the following:
  • What Spacer Size should I use?
  • What Tile Adhesive should I use?
  • What White grout should I use?
The walls are made from plasterboard, if that helps. I'll be looking to use either BAL Tank It or Ardex WPC for waterproofing around the Shower Tray & ensuite area.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
2mm spacer, if rectified tiles.
Good quality cement based adhesive.
Quality white grout from leading suppliers.
Has the plasterboard been painted .

Good price on the tiles by the way.

G

GoneGuy

Go for 2mm spacer but first open a box of tiles and line them up on the floor to see if they are all uniform sizes. If there a bit sizey go for 3mm so you can adjust the grout joint.
Use a reputable brand cement adhesive ( bagged that you add water ) such as Mapei, tilemaster etc. For the walls I would recommend using a standard set adhesive so you have time to put tiles up and not waste any adhesive.
Screwfix sell a Mapei tanking kit which is easy to use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
At first I thought you meant unpack and line up the spacers :tearsofjoy:

It’s been a long day!

J

JLammy

Thanks all.

I'll check a pack of tiles, but if they're ok, I'll go with the 2mm.

The walls have been painted on once with white (it's a new build house). Will this be a problem?

There's also an area specifically just within the shower enclosure that is already tiled, which I'll be scraping off. (see photos)

I'm not sure whether this will damage the plasterboard, but it's likely that I'll be replacing the board that had the tiles on, tank it before tiling the whole ensuite.

IMG_0625.PNG

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As the plasterboard has been painted, you’ll need to remove as much if not all of it ,also prime with acrylic or SBR.

Mapei tanking kit is very good , another one I’ve used recently , for the first time ,is puragum, which l found very easy to work with.

J

JLammy

As the plasterboard has been painted, you’ll need to remove as much if not all of it ,also prime with acrylic or SBR.

Mapei tanking kit is very good , another one I’ve used recently , for the first time ,is puragum, which l found very easy to work with.

Thanks for this.

What would be the best method to remove the paint? Just normal sandpaper?

I've taken a look at the Mapei tanking kit, so I'll probably go with that instead.

Reply to Advice for these Wickes Tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks