Discuss Adhesive between tiles? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

spoony

I am in the middle of having my bathroom tiled so tiles are up but not yet grouted. Forgive the silly question, but should tile adhesive be visible between the tiles where there is no grout?

My floor tiles show what looks like a notched adhesive line, however with the wall tiles, in some places I can see the jackoboard - I think I know the answer...dot and dab, but just wanted to make sure.

S

spoony

IMG_20180301_173329.jpg
IMG_20180301_173410.jpg
IMG_20180301_173455.jpg
The lighting is out at the moment so a bit hard to show but with the floor (wood effect tile) I can see no orange ditra matting, however with the walls I can see the green plasterboard and the black jackoboard

F

Flintstone

Difficult to say, if you can see the background on almost every joint then they will be dot and dabbed, if it’s the odd row of joints here and there, it could be where the Tiler has strayed to a point then serated again after fixing the first amount of tiles, etc

S

spoony

I can see it on most. I can also get a wooden skewers a good few inches down the top tiles (trim not in place yet) and near the niche I can put a skewer completely behind (see pics) where blue shows the skewer.
IMG_20180301_181445.jpg
Screenshot_20180301-182452~01.png

F

Flintstone

I would say it’s most likely they are dot and dabbed. Try and pull one off with your hands see what happens.

S

spoony

I will ask the tiler outright (too scared to rip one off!)

Assuming it is, what are the implications of this? The floor tiles seem 'correct' which is my main concern given cracking etc. What risks are there with dot and dabbing ceramic wall tiles (especially in a shower?)

I've read about British Standards but what does that mean? Is this a regulation (ie law) or a quality standard?

I'm trying to understand where I stand with the tiler. He seems like a good chap, over 20 yrs experience abroad, so I'm wondering whether he is used to older methods or standards outside the UK?

G

GoneGuy

It looks like the walls are dot and dabbed, best way is to pull one off and have a look. If not get the tiler to do it! If they are dot and dabbed get him to re do the walls as there is a chance of a tile(s) falling off and seriously hurting someone

S

spoony

Do they sound hollow when you tap them.
The sound alters across them. I'm pretty confident it is dot and dab as I have run my skewer around all the edges and there is no adhesive for a good few inches of the edges and corners.

S

spoony

I'm about to go back to the tiler and request, at the very least, the tiles in the shower area are redone with correct coverage (the walls are half height ceramic so as a compromise I may accept these as is).

One final Question: I appreciate if a wall is not level you might need to bed out a bit, but what is an acceptable amount? The tiles seem to be up to 1cm away from the wall in some areas (this is where the trim will be and the trim is 10mm)
IMG_20180302_113802~01.jpg
IMG_20180302_113735.jpg
IMG_20180302_113802~01.jpg
IMG_20180302_113747~01.jpg

G

GoneGuy

Pull one off, you will be surprised how easy it will come off, now imagine someone being hurt by one popping off! It needs to be re done

S

spoony

They are on quite firmly but no doubt I can pull them off and there are big voids.

Message sent to tiler and awaiting his response.

*Tiler says walls are not straight and 80-90% coverage is being achieved*. My skewer disagrees !

Reply to Adhesive between tiles? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks