Discuss Adhesive advice and porcelain tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Randt

Hi guys looking for some information.

I employed a plumber to fit an ensuite for me. He brought in all the tradesmen to do their parts of the job. The tiler used bal green star as the adhesive for the tiles. The tiles were 600mm x 360mm porcelain tiles. Cost me a fortune.

The plumber and tiler walked off the job as the tile joints didn’t line up. It was uneven. Tiles were not level.

Can anyone give me any advice on whether this is the wrong product and why.

Bal have said it is but the tiler disputes this.

Thanks.

T

Tile Shop

Take it down before it falls down. Thats really poor form. Greenstar is only suitable for ceramics less than 300x300. On porcelain it won't dry properly and won't have sufficient bond to the tile. Must use cement based. How thick are the tiles and what are they being fitted onto? If you say plaster I might cry.

Any pictures of what they have done?

R

Randt

It’s onto new plasterboard. The tiler used some primer or something from bal.ill post some. It’s pretty horrific.

Also had issues with walls not been built close enough to shower tray.

R

Randt

here are a few pics. unfortunately this happened nearly 2 years ago and is now going to court. there are loads more.

IMG_0062.JPG IMG_E0971.JPG IMG_3613.JPG IMG_3611.JPG IMG_3609.JPG IMG_3610.JPG IMG_3615.JPG IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0058.JPG

Q

Qwerty

Why has it taken 2 years to get to this point? Were you hoping to use information from the forum in the court case? I assume the trader failed to rectify the work and mediation failed?

R

Randt

I was looking for some opinions on a few things. We know the adhesive is wrong because the company have said so, we know the joinery and plumbing is wrong, the plumber has tried to sue us as we employees him to fit a central heating system and replace a bathroom, he did not complete any of the jobs but is demanding payment for the materials. We didn’t pay him as the repair bill for the ensuite is 5 grand, he actually owes us around 3500.

He had now tried to take us to court. The guy guy is crazy fir thinking he can win.

We’ve had good advice off plumbers and tilers about this. Tradesmen should not get away with this.

D

Dumbo

Hi guys looking for some information.

I employed a plumber to fit an ensuite for me. He brought in all the tradesmen to do their parts of the job. The tiler used bal green star as the adhesive for the tiles. The tiles were 600mm x 360mm porcelain tiles. Cost me a fortune.

The plumber and tiler walked off the job as the tile joints didn’t line up. It was uneven. Tiles were not level.

Can anyone give me any advice on whether this is the wrong product and why.

Bal have said it is but the tiler disputes this.

Thanks.
Get bal to tell why it is wrong and send it to you this will be worth more in court than some random tilers of a random website telling you why they think it is wrong .

R

Randt

We hav that already. They only refer to their product sheet. And say that is all that’s required as all the details are there to see. The guy at bal couldn’t believe it. He also explained why porcelain and ceramic tiles have different properties so require different adhesives. I couldn’t let the plumber or tiler rectify it as it is so bad.

D

Dumbo

I think you will find you are legally bound to let them attempt to correct it . I don't think it is looked upon favourably if they have offered and you have refused

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Exactly right there, under the consumer rights act 2015 you have to give the tradesperson the opportunity to rectify or replace work/goods that do not meet requirements.

R

Randt

He didn’t offer and he went to a lawyer. The guy didn’t turn up on Friday for a court hearing in the case he brought up. He sent his lawyer. Now we are going to a full evidence hearing.

N

nalla

Take it down before it falls down. Thats really poor form. Greenstar is only suitable for ceramics less than 300x300. On porcelain it won't dry properly and won't have sufficient bond to the tile. Must use cement based. How thick are the tiles and what are they being fitted onto? If you say plaster I might cry.

Any pictures of what they have done?
As you have said, how an earth have they used Bal Greanstar in a moisture environment, i use Greenstar all the time but only in kitchens

Reply to Adhesive advice and porcelain tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks