Discuss A question for the kitchen guys re. marble worktops... in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Time's Ran Out

I have been asked to quote for re-doing a failed kitchen floor and as part of the quote need to price for a complete removal and re-fit of the kitchen.
Before I approach a kitchen fitter though, do you think it's possible to remove and safely reinstall silestone island tops?
This kitchen has two and one has a cut out for the sink.
I'm kind of thinking there is a big risk in them breaking?
Any experience of this?

Is it an insurance quote as they will want 1 company to take all responsibility for the job.

T

Time's Ran Out

Then I’d go for the worst case scenario!
Very difficult to get an extra 15k if it goes wrong.
Pm - @stone tiler as he had a similar situation this last year on an insurance quote which he consequently had some involvement in rectifying.

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Yes it is possible but manpower is key along with patience. As stated they should be siliconed to the cabinets but many aren’t
If there freestanding island quartz tops it shouldn’t be to hard, what size are they?
If you have a sink/hob cutout for god sake once it slides get in up on its edge otherwise you’ll have a very expensive bill when lifting
If against a wall with upstands you probably won’t remove the upstands without breakage

Last edited:

stone tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Then I’d go for the worst case scenario!
Very difficult to get an extra 15k if it goes wrong.
Pm - @stone tiler as he had a similar situation this last year on an insurance quote which he consequently had some involvement in rectifying.

Yep I had this issue last year. In the end the insurance company got kitchen manufacturer out to remove and re-fix the massive island granite (they had fitted the £100k kitchen 2 years previous).
Apparently they charged nearly £9k and had it in writing that no responsibility for breakages/damages additional works would be accepted.
Would've been cheaper to put a hammer through it and start again!!

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
When moving quartz or granite tops with cut-outs l have clamped 4x2 along the edges for support. Hope They have not used sticks like to fix the top to cabinets.

Reply to A question for the kitchen guys re. marble worktops... in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks