Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss 900x600 20mm Porcelain on a terrace 130mts in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United Kingdom

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Wanting to get best prep on a block and beam floor fibre reinforced screed. I have tiled outside before matting etc was ever used. What I normally do is prime, anti fracture tile? On balconys where there is bitumen I would use the floating system (cant think of the name) water runs out from beneath Lol. Senile I think ? Ready for abuse, but think this should be explained properly to all as a lot of floors are continuing outside. Did a pool surround 12 years ago direct onto concrete still fine, just needed a clean.

L

LM

This could make for some interesting points of view. I’d be thinking Ditra drain 8 or stilts perhaps but I’d like to hear what views come with this question also.

OP
S

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi Lee. I put this up deliberately to see what others are doing. I know what Ive been doing is not 100%. But no failures yet. I think sometimes people are afraid to say what their doing incase they get slaughtered on here Lol

F

Flintstone

Nobody is gonna learn unless they ask, and unless things are discussed, people shouldn’t feel worried to post!! I’m no expert on tile outdoors but I did tile a roof terrace last year or the year before, with porcelain, Tilemaster specd to tile with ultimate and make sure there’s a solid bed, it was slopped.

OP
S

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Sometimes as you know, if you add all the matting prep etc instead of ££ per mt you get £££££££ Clients think your taking the mick!!! They cant comprehend thats the right way but it costs.

D

Dumbo

If he's an engineer i am surprised he hasn't researched it and is telling how he wants it down and also supplying you with a drawing

OP
S

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Im a tiler hes an engineer. I wouldn't tell him how to screw a nut and bolt so I assume he will think the same Lol. As for drawings its a simple job around the length and width of his house. He kicked the last tiler off for not mitring internal skirtings in Porcelain which were semi bullnosed. We went there and replaced them correctly. I will give him the Shluter spec and he no doubt will agree

O

Old Mod

@impish has used Gutjahr recently.

I’ve used 3-4 different methods over the years.
Straight to screed on patio.
There’s a number of products similar to Ditra-Drain but they go under the screed over the slab, then tile screed.
Ditra drain on screed then tile.
And on some balconies that were covered with asphalt and falling the wrong way, I corrected the falls by use of wedge boards which were taped and jointed then waterproofed at the perimeter and on the joints and then tiled.
There were seven and they’re still in tact, and I still speak with client.
And on timber terrace I’ve waterproofed with mapelastic and fitted Ditra Drain and tiled.

I think if all sensible precautions are taken, a good fall or Aco drain fitted, then a successful install is easy enough.
As long as any timber substrates are prepped correctly and are deflection free and load bearing, they should be fine.

Reply to 900x600 20mm Porcelain on a terrace 130mts in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock