Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

2. ismoat Building Products

Discuss 900x600 20mm Porcelain on a terrace 130mts in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Simon Dale

Simon Dale Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Wanting to get best prep on a block and beam floor fibre reinforced screed. I have tiled outside before matting etc was ever used. What I normally do is prime, anti fracture tile? On balconys where there is bitumen I would use the floating system (cant think of the name) water runs out from beneath Lol. Senile I think ? Ready for abuse, but think this should be explained properly to all as a lot of floors are continuing outside. Did a pool surround 12 years ago direct onto concrete still fine, just needed a clean.

2. LEE MAC

LEE MAC Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

This could make for some interesting points of view. I’d be thinking Ditra drain 8 or stilts perhaps but I’d like to hear what views come with this question also.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Simon Dale

Hi Lee. I put this up deliberately to see what others are doing. I know what Ive been doing is not 100%. But no failures yet. I think sometimes people are afraid to say what their doing incase they get slaughtered on here Lol

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Nobody is gonna learn unless they ask, and unless things are discussed, people shouldn’t feel worried to post!! I’m no expert on tiling outdoors but I did tile a roof terrace last year or the year before, with porcelain, Tilemaster specd to tile with ultimate and make sure there’s a solid bed, it was slopped.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Simon Dale

6. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member

Did a patio last year 1200x 600 porcelain with ditra drain 8 with a fall .

• Like Like x 2
  7. Simon Dale

Sometimes as you know, if you add all the matting prep etc instead of ££ per mt you get £££££££ Clients think your taking the mick!!! They cant comprehend thats the right way but it costs.

8. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Simon, if they won’t pay for the way you know it should be done, then move onto the next job!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Simon Dale

This one will pay he's an engineer very anal but wants it right.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member

If he's an engineer i am surprised he hasn't researched it and is telling how he wants it down and also supplying you with a drawing

• Like Like x 1
  11. Simon Dale

Im a tiler hes an engineer. I wouldn't tell him how to screw a nut and bolt so I assume he will think the same Lol. As for drawings its a simple job around the length and width of his house. He kicked the last tiler off for not mitring internal skirtings in Porcelain which were semi bullnosed. We went there and replaced them correctly. I will give him the Shluter spec and he no doubt will agree

• Like Like x 1
  12. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

@impish@impish has used Gutjahr recently.

I’ve used 3-4 different methods over the years.
    Straight to screed on patio.
    There’s a number of products similar to Ditra-Drain but they go under the screed over the slab, then tile screed.
    Ditra drain on screed then tile.
    And on some balconies that were covered with asphalt and falling the wrong way, I corrected the falls by use of wedge boards which were taped and jointed then waterproofed at the perimeter and on the joints and then tiled.
    There were seven and they’re still in tact, and I still speak with client.
    And on timber terrace I’ve waterproofed with mapelastic and fitted Ditra Drain and tiled.

I think if all sensible precautions are taken, a good fall or Aco drain fitted, then a successful install is easy enough.
    As long as any timber substrates are prepped correctly and are deflection free and load bearing, they should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

130m2 balcony with 20mm porcelain, that’s around
    6500 kgs in weight Simon, that must be some balcony.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Simon Dale

Sorry not a balcony its outside around house. ill get a picture

15. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

...and some liability if they fail. I did one - just 28sqm over a multi-million pound kitchen. No way did I want that one coming back to haunt me!

• Like Like x 2