Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss 900x150 Porcelain Planks Spacer Size in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
D

Dumbo

Why do people believe bs needs updating as my understanding was 3mm grout joint was to help allow a modicum of movement in the instalation and nothing to do with the quality of the sizing and shape of the tiles . As @Simon Dale mentioned earlier today customer wants 1mm joints can he do it , i expect so , is it wise different story . I know its one extreme to another but i am highlighting a point. Please educate me if I am wrong

OP
I

Italy

I do not understand why there are still the BS rules,
when there are the latest UNI 11493 standards available,
written by all European associations, including BS.
Uni 11493 says:
IN NO EVENT SHALL BE PRESCRIBED OR ADOPTED ONE
WIDTH LOWER 2 MM.
appendix recently added,
difference between large and small sizes, given that
the structural movement of large format slabs is much more
accentuated of small sizes due to lower rows of grouting
it is advisable to be 3mm wide. (Advisable).

peace be with you, amen. ;)

OP
T

Tile Shop

For anyone who cares, its all about covering ones posterior and no-one wanting to take responsibility for anything less than what BS recommend. Chances are going for smaller grout joints will not be a problem providing the preparation is perfect and you have the appropriate movement joints and/or decoupling in place.

But, https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive//grout manufacturers will give a condition along the lines of "products are guaranteed on the strict condition that the relevant standards for tile fixing are followed (BS-5385)". Gives them a quick get-out if the defecation hits the oscillation. Then its down to the tile manufacturer to whether they will guarantee their tile if fitted with a smaller grout joint than what BS recommend.

Minimum recommendations:

BS5385 Part 1 - Internal wall tile (7.2.1.6):
1-2 mm

BS5385 Part 2 - External wall tile (6.3.3):
Extruded tiles = 5-10mm
Dust Pressed (ceramic/porcelain) = 3mm
Natural Stone calibrated = 3mm
Natural Stone un-calibrated = 5mm

BS5385 Part 3 - Internal and External Floor tile (7.1.5):
minimum 3mm

All the above dependant on tile dimension irregularities.

Parts 4 and 5 are additional standards based on different service conditions and natural stone types. No specific joint widths given so revert back to the underlying parts 1, 2 or 3 which should always be followed.

Reply to 900x150 Porcelain Planks Spacer Size in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock