Discuss 40mm serofoam Outdoor Tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, my first post. I have had a read through the forum and it seems like this is the place for an answer to my question. So thanks in advance for any feedback.

I am looking at changing my drive from gravel to a more stable surface but have not seen any driveways that I like the look of. Hate crazy paving, hate the look of printed concrete and tarmac despite the advances still looks like my old school playground and also in hot weather the cars I have told will damage the surface.

I have seen a stylish range of outdoor tiles that are 40mm thick and backed with serofoam with a 10mm Porcelain top. The manufacturer states that they can be laid on a 3" sand bed that I imagine would be ok for foot traffic but I would like to be able to park my car on them. Would these Tiles be suitable or would they crack with the weight as there would be a good few hundred KG's on each wheel. An expensive mistake if they do. What substrate do you think would be suitable? As the tiles and grout lines would be sealed I am also adding a drain on the downhill side of the drive to prevent pooling.

Also has anyone any experience with them in terms of slip resistance. The manufacturer states high slip resistance but what about the likes of frost and snow on them?

Thanks for taking the time to read and appreciate any feedback.

Reaction score
Would these Tiles be suitable or would they crack with the weight as there would be a good few hundred KG's on each wheel.
I would think the tiles would be unsuitable
You would be better with a 20mm porcelain tiles and would by cheaper than the tiles with serofoam if their the topps tile spaces range
Video of 20mm porcelain used for carriagable use

Pee

TF
Reaction score
I fitted a garden patio a few weeks ago using Topps Spaces porcelain tiles with serafoam backing, they will only have to support foot traffic but I believe at 40mm thick with a good sub base they would be strong enough for use on a driveway. In the Erdington branch they have display inside the store with a car parked on these tiles. Only my opinion but I wouldn't be in favour of using porcelain for a driveway, the completed patio looks great and no matter what type of product is selected there all be a list pros and cons. In comparison to sandstone they will require less maintenance and cleaning because of the finish, without sealing in a garden environment any algae,food/drink,paint spillage would just wipe off. On a driveway you have mentioned about sealing, again only my opinion but this would have to include some anti-slip product because the finish is smooth. Even cobble effect concrete stamp which is grooved/riven can be slippy,I'm happy to be proved wrong but I feel the effort required to maintain a suitable anti-slip coating would cancel out some of the key benefits of using porcelain tiles, initial costs slightly higher because they require less maintenance.

Reply to 40mm serofoam Outdoor Tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks