Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Schluter and U

Discuss 3/4 inch foil back plaster board in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. nivek04

nivek04 New to TilersForums.co.uk

a builder put 3/4 inch foil back plaster board in my bathroom if i seal all of it can it be tiled over

2. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Do you have stud walls? Is the paper face showing (the side to be tiled). I shouldn't have to ask, but you mentioned the 'builder' word!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. hmtiling

hmtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

someone dabbed some foil backed for me quite recently. gotta love 'em

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Bond

Bond Active Member

Are you sure it's 3/4 inch? Plasterboard normally 3/8 or 1/2 inch. Has the plasterboard been decorated?

5. Ajax123

Ajax123 Tilers Forums Pro - Screed Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

that's pretty thick plasterboard... is it acoustiboard or something similar or does it have a layer of insulation stuck to the back... stupid question perhaps but your description seems to imply that the foil may be facing into the room...is this correct?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Localtiler

Localtiler Professional Tiler Top Contributor

It's not insulation is it ? :eek:

7. Wishiwasatoptiler

Wishiwasatoptiler I'm either plastered or out on the tiles Professional Tiler

"unreal"!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. whitebeam

whitebeam Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Many years ago had a builder tell me that what was I had to do, under protest I did and warned of the consequences but wouldn't listen and it did fail :confused: