Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss 2nd opinion on tiling job in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
FCEA5BDA-17D3-4E28-B758-C4D204835D5F.jpeg
D2DC2E9A-D3AE-4F0E-9041-A050959C2BCE.jpeg
4F09F610-203A-4F4B-857C-6DE2DC50643C.jpeg
D65166AF-C1E6-4038-AFA2-21D33DDCFE1C.jpeg
FC6563C7-12DA-45CF-A33D-C8AEA1C82526.jpeg
6A9A5D3F-C967-4E13-9410-E1E80A5CA925.jpeg
7BDB7B4A-0740-4A23-941A-4488F0587C2B.jpeg
B133E900-5935-4DC4-B90D-77DF220E97B6.jpeg
CE309684-3B69-476B-A2FE-DAC01B896A2B.png
D19F6105-C347-40F9-8F07-09DFA20DAC29.png
Hello,
We recently had a new bathroom fitted. We originally had a 5k budget (small bathroom m) but we decided to double budget, go with an upmarket company and finance the rest.
The bathroom was fitted whilst we were on holiday.
The bathroom is lovely but in my opinion the tile isn’t great, it’s mainly where the tiles needed cutting and beading fitted.
I’m a bit of a perfectionist so when I pointed out to my husband, I got the rolled eyes.
I’m conscious I am a perfectionist and don’t know (based on hubby’s reaction) if I’m being unrealistic. Whenever I do something myself, I’m a stickler for attention to detail.
I’m hoping to get an expert opinion, because it’s bothering me.
I’ve attached photos where beading is good (no gap) compared to other side where there is a gaps, there’s also small holes in grouting.
I’ve also uploaded designs that were done.

F

Flintstone

Bit harsh Widler. Sadly from what I can see id say the tile is probably average quality from most bathroom shops, not great .

T

Time's Ran Out

@Littlelola - it’s well below expectation for any cost of tile!
For £1000.00 it’s rough so for £10k you
are entitled to be 10 times more disappointed!
The amount you spent should be irrelevant, as a professional should provide an aesthetically pleasing contract leaving only when you are totally happy with your agreed payment in his pocket.
Until then they need to redo all your highlighted issues - IMHO you are not being overly fussy.

C

Concrete guy

There are some over reactions on here to this work. Let's get a little perspective.

I see a lack of attention to detail, but don't see a catastrophic mess that requires ripping out and refitting. (Based on the images posted above).

There are far far worse jobs posted on this form reasonably regularly.

I'd be inclined to compile a snagging list and take this up with the company politely.

Initially be nice and polite and calmly explain what's upsetting you.

If you took finance out through the bathroom company that did the work, this is a huge benefit for you as you can involve the finance company if you don't eventually end up in the position you'd like. The finance company have far more leverage then you ever will in a situation like this and they are obliged to act if it goes that far.

Understand though that from a legal standpoint (should this ever get legal) you've paid for a bathroom supply and fit and you have a bathroom supply and fit that presumably works. legally "value for money" is far less relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

@ATSDiamondTools - A little perspective!
Are you not looking at the CGI images?
Because all I see is
D35B90F5-494B-4D77-BECF-10BFE57A1495.png
6AE0096C-B8AF-43AE-9D88-028F110C8612.png
942854E6-3E78-4A53-A659-AEC2DBB5D531.png
which means a lot of removal and that doesn’t include what he’s not done behind if that’s the standard of work on view.
It’s sh*te and people deserve better.

C

Concrete guy

@ATSDiamondTools - A little perspective!
Are you not looking at the CGI images?
Because all I see is
View attachment 106452
View attachment 106453
View attachment 106454
which means a lot of removal and that doesn’t include what he’s not done behind if that’s the standard of work on view.
It’s sh*te and people deserve better.

I see exactly that, but there's a way to go about getting it redressed that is more constructive and likely to elicit a response than throwing toys out of a pram.

Looking at the problem from a legal perspective. Ultimately the customer has a presentable, functioning bathroom assuming everything works. But the attention to detail is not what they were expecting.

You're asking for a degree of compliance from the company to correct these issues so going in steaming will get the customer no where quickly.

I also assume it's all been paid for so withholding an appropriate amount (say 10%) for "snagging" is no longer an option.

So yes, I still see some over reactions in response to the OP particularly from Widler. What I have done is made a constructive suggestion of how to take this forward in a way that is most likely to ellicit at least a reasonable response.

Reply to 2nd opinion on tiling job in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock