Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss 200sqm floor, prep discussion in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United Kingdom
D

Dumbo

Please checkout the following advertisement.
i see, bit different here, the fixers round here kind of know we know what we are on about, so we try and help as much as we can.
As much as a tech department ?

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
A friend of mine who is a roofer was going to tile his kitchen floor. He asked me in the end. The Tile shop which stock Bal gave him rapid pourable glue at a million pounds a bag. How on earth would he have managed ? It was July ! Experienced staff in those shops are few and far between ! Well done Lee for knowing your onions :)

T

Tile Shop

And in I wade to retailers side of the net.

No I don't . If I want to know if a product is suitable for a certain application I speak to relevant tech department and ask for written confirmation of what they are saying.

If they are not going to get asked questions about projects, maybe all tile shops should just be cash and carry then. Don't need experienced sales staff to offer recommendations. Just a Muppet who knows nothing keeping his eye on the self service checkout will be fine....... Reality check? Will the technical department you phone come and physically look every single job before they advise what you need? Do you really get every conversation in writing? And do you have that little confidence in what you are doing that you actually need it in writing?

Yes 99 times out of 100, the retailer can only go by the information they are given but that is the same as any technical department at the end of a phone line so there is no difference is there? But they both ask the right questions to paint the best possible picture and advise accordingly. If the client/tiler doesn't know the answer, send them off to find out.

If Lee hadn't seen the job but was told everything in great detail as to the substrate, prep and subsequent cracks appearing, would the advise he gives be any different? Probably not, but it doesn't automatically mean he's wrong. You should give most (won't say "all" cuz we know it's bollux) retailers some credit for knowing what they are talking about. Where do you think their training comes from? Couldn't possibly be from the very same technical departments you are quick to jump to for the answer...... or could it?

Reaction score
anyway.......back to topic.......went to site today and met client and tiler. Client has been advised best practice is to decouple floor and also as there are no structural movements joints they can use the dural micro joint infill (cant be used if to replace structural movement joints, i learnt that today!)

client obvs not best pleased theres another 5k on the bill......but ive said its upto them whether they do as recommended.

D

Dumbo

And in I wade to retailers side of the net.

If they are not going to get asked questions about projects, maybe all tile shops should just be cash and carry then. Don't need experienced sales staff to offer recommendations. Just a Muppet who knows nothing keeping his eye on the self service checkout will be fine....... Reality check? Will the technical department you phone come and physically look every single job before they advise what you need? Do you really get every conversation in writing? And do you have that little confidence in what you are doing that you actually need it in writing?

Yes 99 times out of 100, the retailer can only go by the information they are given but that is the same as any technical department at the end of a phone line so there is no difference is there? But they both ask the right questions to paint the best possible picture and advise accordingly. If the client/tiler doesn't know the answer, send them off to find out.

If Lee hadn't seen the job but was told everything in great detail as to the substrate, prep and subsequent cracks appearing, would the advise he gives be any different? Probably not, but it doesn't automatically mean he's wrong. You should give most (won't say "all" cuz we know it's bollux) retailers some credit for knowing what they are talking about. Where do you think their training comes from? Couldn't possibly be from the very same technical departments you are quick to jump to for the answer...... or could it?
When I speak to tech .
I've been to see the job .
Not relying on what a householder( amateur )has told me .
I am a professional so I know what I'm looking when describing issues to tech department .
The reason for writing is not confidence in my own ability it's confidence in what I'm being told as I have been told how this product will be ok for that application and when I have asked for it in writing they have said no we can't do that as we haven't tested it for that, ( funny not so confident in your product now ) .
I'm not calling tile shop personnel Muppets I'm just saying why specify when you haven't seen the room and I did apologise for that statement as @Lee@TileTown corrected me on that and I don't mind apologising for that again.

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Im on here to learn. Everything I post is more of a question than an answer. Pity more people don't reply with something. If you look at posts there might be 2000 views and 10 replies ??

Reaction score
A couple more points from a retail point of view.

Many of the guys on here are right at the top of their game - many of the "Tilers" that come into my shop and into many peoples' homes are, unfortunately, not. They therefore do need advice.

When dealing with householders we often like to give the customers a few pointers to make sure that their chosen tiler knows what he is doing, to try to avoid some of the disastrous tales we hear about on this forum.

Most retailers will be visited by Reps - who will pass on information about new products etc. It is then down to us to inform you guys, so you can start using these products. I'm sure that only a handful of you know what the new Tilemaster product is . . . .

I doubt whether any of us claim to be experts in fitting - we just try to accommodate everyone, experts, cowboys and homeowners.

Reaction score
anyone with any photos of wood effect planks/tiles fixed with an expansion joint?
Here you go Lee. Spot the movement joints. Matching colours to the grout - am I allowed to mention supplier.
As for your knowledge, I’d be inclined to call you before many of the so called Tech advice lines out there. Your knowledge is top class!

BDC3AEF4-64A4-4535-8146-91E6F8AB9F18.jpeg 088F5E28-FDCE-4DDC-9184-97E1C28F56CB.jpeg DF741893-362A-454A-914F-6835F753AF38.jpeg

Reply to 200sqm floor, prep discussion in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock