Discuss 200sqm floor, prep discussion in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

Lee, I wouldn’t uncouple with porcelain, Those tiles have a lot of joints to take up some expansion, plus use an expansion strip every 8m, soft joint in each doorway, and perimeter expansion gap. The cracks are only a concern if they are fairly wide, as in you can get a coin in

Reaction score
Lee, I wouldn’t uncouple with porcelain, Those tiles have a lot of joints to take up some expansion, plus use an expansion strip every 8m, soft joint in each doorway, and perimeter expansion gap. The cracks are only a concern if they are fairly wide, as in you can get a coin in

thanks for the response, i hear what you are saying with regards decoupler, i didn't quote for it originally, its the expansion joints using a timber effect ive an issue with aesthetically.

being thick now, soft joint?

F

Flintstone

I know what you are saying lee about having a break across the tiles, how large are the bigger areas ?

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ok, so similar situation i found myself involved in.

270m2 ground floor house. anhydrite screed. few cracks appearing now in screed as UFH has been turned on (even thou the laitance hasn't been took off yet, thats another story)

tiles being used are 22.5x85 wood planks.

having just costed the expansion strips and matting, customer isnt happy with extra costs......

so what to do? No decoupler and use expansion strips? Or decouple and no expansion strips?
Did a very similar job Lee, I decoupled throughout and used expansion joints on thresholds where it changed from room to room with the underfloor heating. Belt and braces I know but I can sleep at night haha
Chris

D

Dumbo

Petty hate of mine tile shops specifying jobs when they haven't seen the room and are relying on information given to them by amateurs .
I know you said offering advice but that then gets translated as the man in the tile shop said .

Reaction score
Petty hate of mine tile shops specifying jobs when they haven't seen the room and are relying on information given to them by amateurs .
I know you said offering advice but that then gets translated as the man in the tile shop said .

mmmmm......dont really know how to take that tbh.....

said man in the tile shop (me) has been in this tile shop for 24 years.....hardly amateur......

oh, and ive seen the job, ive been twice. its a nice job and one i gave to the tiler......and the tiler has just as much experience as me if not more. but hes not afraid to ask, im not afraid to find out and it is how i do business.

D

Dumbo

mmmmm......dont really know how to take that tbh.....

said man in the tile shop (me) has been in this tile shop for 24 years.....hardly amateur......

oh, and ive seen the job, ive been twice. its a nice job and one i gave to the tiler......and the tiler has just as much experience as me if not more. but hes not afraid to ask, im not afraid to find out and it is how i do business.
I apologise you have seen the job usually advice is given by tile shop when job hasn't been seen . Specifying relying on information from amateurs being the householder .
you never ask the tile shop you deal with for advice @jcrtiling ?
No I don't . If I want to know if a product is suitable for a certain application I speak to relevant tech department and ask for written confirmation of what they are saying.

Reaction score
No I don't . If I want to know if a product is suitable for a certain application I speak to relevant tech department and ask for written confirmation of what they are saying.

i see, bit different here, the fixers round here kind of know we know what we are on about, so we try and help as much as we can.

Reply to 200sqm floor, prep discussion in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks