Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss 1mm cut off disc other uses in the Tiling Tools Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Albert

Albert Professional Tiler Top Contributor

upload_2017-9-13_20-1-24.png I use these for metal trim.Any one used them for ceramics?

2. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

I have once before but the amount of debris 'fling off' was unbearable!

3. callatiler

callatiler Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Seen one of them blades explode and big chunk went into tradesmen arm, would suggest never trying on any ceramics!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 8:28 PM
  4. Albert

Used it on a splashback today and was pleasantly surprised

• Like Like x 1
  5. Albert

I suppose it depends how it's used, i have seen metal blades explode

• Like Like x 1
  6. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

Just chucked out a diamond blade because I noticed it had a fracture . Next step if I hadn't flying metal .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bond

Bond Top Contributor

Multi purpose blade ,including ceramics, you would expect it to be fit for purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

I wouldn't.
    How can it be even be conceivable that a blade does as well cutting steel as it is cutting ceramics?
    That's bloody madness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bond

Bond Top Contributor

Some company's no dought can be a little economical with the truth, if it's no good for ceramics then perhaps someone should tell them.

10. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

It's not actually that cut and dry, I don't suppose. Like porcelain, there are different grades.
    And all porcelain blades behave differently with different grades of porcelain.
    Same could be said of ceramics.
    So if what they tested their blade on cut with an acceptable level of success, then from a marketing point of view, they can put ceramic on their blade.
    Pretty much in the same way Hardie state their boards are impervious to water.
    If you take the word impervious at its primary explanation then it's a blatent lie.
    If you put in to the context of its secondary meaning, then Hardie, is indeed impervious to water.
    But with a professional, common sense should warn you that a cutting blade could not possible as successful with steel as it is with ceramic. It just couldn't be. But if you're a diy'er, then the performance of the blade isn't probably so important, so therefore they may well be more accepting of a low quality cut.

11. Bond

Bond Top Contributor

So it passes for as it says a multi purpose blade.
    It does what it says on the tin!.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 3_fall

As long as you don't have high expectations. :)
    Personally, I use a different blade for every material type.
    Experience has shown me that if you use a blade on porcelain and then on a subsequent project use the same blade on stone, the next time you use it on porcelain, it won't cut with the same high level of finish. Swapping between materials with the same blade only impedes its performance.
    Ergo....a multi purpose blade, will never have a high level of finish on any material, just a passable one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bond

Bond Top Contributor

You wouldn't necessarily have high expectations from a multi purpose blade, however they have there place. They are not claiming to be a high end product.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 3_fall

Well this is where your 'fit for purpose' statement comes in isn't it.
    'Fit for purpose' is a purely subject statement. What's 'fit for purpose for one person, is a pile of rubbish, for someone else.
    IMO it certainly wouldn't be 'fit for purpose' in my tool kit.
    But a diy'er may have higher expectations than me.
    Then be sadly disappointed. #justsayin :)

15. Bond

Bond Top Contributor

I said "you would expect it to be fit for purpose" . I don't think Norton is aiming this blade at the tiling professional, it's a multi purpose blade. I have used expensive diamond blades for cutting copper pipes,metal trim etc, ( because of convenience) no doubt to the detriment of the blade. Therefore a blade like this l think has a place in the toolbox " along side all the others". Just my take on it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. antonio

antonio Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

I just hope you do not talk seriously.
    otherwise you have to keep it open
    the hospital doors ..
    and then explain to your insurance,
    how did you do.
    best wishes to all those who want to try.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Albert

Even marcrist do a cut it all blade. Page 29 cut any thing.
    http://www.partscenter.co.uk/wcssto...hRes/std.lang.all/hu/re/Marcrist_Brochure.pdf.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 6:58 PM
  18. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Looks an interesting blade

19. 3_fall

Cheers Albert, I'll take a look :thumbsup:

20. callatiler

callatiler Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

IMG_1014.JPG Page 29

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Plan Tec Tiling

@Andy Allen@Andy Allen could do with one of those for his metro jobs

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1