Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss 18mm WBP ply prior to tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
C

chris_elevate

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I’ve bought 18mm WBP ply for the bathroom to fix directly to the joists and got noggins every 400mm.

Is this base ok to tile onto with flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout? It’s having electric UFH too.

The reason I went for 18mm is because it’s 18mm floorboards running to it at the door threshold.

Thanks

jobdone

TF
Reaction score
Insulation boards as above but there are more cost effective suppliers than topped. CTD keep Jacko board in stock.
Or try the forum sponsor U Heat

OP
C

chris_elevate

So you don’t think it’s possible to put the UFH and tiles down onto the 18mm ply? You think it best to use 6mm backer boards prior to the job? Screws at 100mm centers too?

OP
D

Dumbo

Ply is not what is was . tile will probably delaminate from background and you could get tanins coming through staing the grout

OP
C

chris_elevate

So to be 100% spot on you guys suggest the following...

1. Lay the 18mm WBP ply down onto the joists and noggins at 400mm centres. Use something like gorilla glue (expanding glue) on top of the noggins/joists if considered necessary to stop any creaks etc but not essential.
2. Overboard it with sheets of 6mm tile backer board and screw through at 100mm centres.
3. The tiler can then go straight onto this with the UFH wire and tile on top.

Thanks again for the input.

jobdone

TF
Reaction score
Insulation boards
Heating cable
SLC
Then tiles. Better heat distribution and far easier to lay the tiles on flat smooth surface. Less likely to damage the cable.

OP
C

chris_elevate

I've just found this in the WarmUp manual....

"SUBFLOOR TYPES Timber Subfloor: Secure existing floorboards. Floor boards should then be over boarded with a Warmup insulation board (min 10mm) or WBP plywood (Min 18mm) screwed down at 200mm centres.

Fixing Ply directly to joists will not provide a stable floor finish to accept the tiles. Fixing 18mm tongue and groove then over boarding with WBP plywood or the Warmup Insulation board."

So they are saying I need 18mm followed by 10mm insulation board on top? Surely having 28mm plus https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and tiles will create a "step" from my landing carpeted floor into the bathroom at this rate? My landing floorboards are 18mm.

Thanks for your input on this.

OP
F

Flintstone

18mm ply is structural, same as a floor board is. The 6mm insulation is to insulate, and also give you a better more suitable surface to tile on than ply wood.

OP
D

Dumbo

As regards your step . Function over form not form over function. What mean is if it works you will get over the step . If you take form over function and it fails you wont get over that . Probably you have come up a flight of 8 inch stairs i sure yiu can manage a little step into your bathroom . Dont forget descent underlay and carpet probably 20mm .

OP
C

chris_elevate

So 4mm notched trowel onto the 18mm ply with the s1 https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, 6mm insulation boards onto that, screws every 200mm, glass fibre take along the joins and it’ll be ready you’d say?

Reply to 18mm WBP ply prior to tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock