Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss 15mm wide box trim?? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Anybody know where I can get a box trim 15mm wide in chrome or aluminum? Have scoured the internet but can only find 10mm.

I've tiled our hallway and then ran the tiles straight through into the study off the hall. I set the tiles out for a grout line to run down the centre of the hall but this has created a problem in the study - the tiles finish at a sliding door and at one end of the sliding door there is a full tile into the cill but at the other end there is about a 20mm gap after the last row of tiles. The problem arised I think because the hallway isn't perfectly square so although I set it off on the centre of the hall, it was gradually running out down the length of the hall. It's not really noticeable in the hall but where it meets the sliding door in the study, it's very noticeable.

I could cut a 20mm slither of tile to fill the gap but I think this will look pretty bad as it will gradually run to 0mm along the length of the sliding door.

So my other thought was to put a 15mm box tile trim in the gap, but I can't find any 15mm wide trims.

If anyone has better ideas how to address the problem, I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Photo attached. I've just laid the last row of tiles out dry to show the gap. I'm not sure how easy it is to make out but at one end of the sliding door there is a gap of 20mm between the last row and the cill, but this gap gradually reduces to nothing at the other end of the sliding door.

No idea what would look best here - a slither of tile would surely look awful. I guess I could grout the gap but think that would look pretty bad too. So that's why I was wondering about trim? Any advice greatly appreciated.

IMG_20180712_083353.jpg

K

Kieks

Ok I see what you mean now. That’s a pain in the arse!

Do you have enough height on the threshold profile to take a box trim? If not you could get a right angle trim, butt it to the profile and lip it on to the top of the tiles?

Not ideal but you’re going to be limited in options to be honest.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes there is enough height to take a box trim. Can't find a 15mm wide trim though. I have looked at a right angle trim from Screwfix that would do the job. Would prefer a box trim though.

K

Kieks

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes there is enough height to take a box trim. Can't find a 15mm wide trim though. I have looked at a right angle trim from Screwfix that would do the job. Would prefer a box trim though.

Is there a conservatory/door company by you they may have something.

If not something like this may work

15mm x 15mm Stainless Steel Box Section | 304 | 1.2mm | Metals4u - https://www.metals4u.co.uk/stainless-steel-box-section/15mm-x-15mm-x-1.2mm-304-dull-polished/p1927

Reply to 15mm wide box trim?? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock