Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Yet Another Suspected Wet Room Floor! Looking For Advice Please! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi there new to this forum and thread. I stumbled across it looking for answers to a similar problem with areas of my grout in a new wet area. Did you ever find out the cause of the leak?? About to tell my builder to carry out checks on the plumbing in the cavity wall. The wet areas are patchy but spreading. They occurred within a week of using the shower and have gradually got worse over the past 2 months.
image.jpeg
They are damp ( builder used a damp meter to read) but not drying out even with ufh on. The problem is slowly getting worse. The picture shows area 10 hours after shower last used

OP
B

bcd-87

it's water stuck under the tiles!
these type of trays trap it against the drain assembly. if this type of drain is used, best to use epoxy grout and silicone around the drain.
i guarantee if this tray is used more than once a day, it will get worse....

@Bri its water under the tray ok !!

OP
P

Paula

it's not just impey. loads of trays have little upstands. ufh is a good idea, as is epoxy grout too.
when i went on Schluter's training course it was a real education learning that water management rather than prevention is key to making a wet area last.

So....given that we are stuck with our Impey tray (with no weepholes), but have re-grouted with epoxy, and have a polypipe (wet) underfloor heating system in the bathroom everywhere other than in the actual shower tray area, do you think our floor will last a good few years without failing?

OP
O

One Day

So....given that we are stuck with our Impey tray (with no weepholes), but have re-grouted with epoxy, and have a polypipe (wet) underfloor heating system in the bathroom everywhere other than in the actual shower tray area, do you think our floor will last a good few years without failing?

I think if the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ bed hasn't been ruined by saturation for too long (you'd know as the tiles would be working loose), then the epoxy will keep water out and you'll be fine.
Just watch out around the grate. I would have siliconed around the grate. If it's been grouted, watch out for it pulling away and letting water in again. Just in case...

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
By laws of probability shouldnt every wet room floor be showing signs like this floor if all grout lets in water ? Or do some folk just think its natural , you use a shower eveey day its bound to look wet in places most of the time, but some folk thinks it should look perfectly dry the minute you stop using it ?
My shower is used at least 3 times a day and does not ever get perfectly dry, im not saying this is the case on here, but surely shirley its gotta look wet at some point ?

OP
O

One Day

20151120_111222.jpg
Right, I just returned from a Wedi AI course and really wrapped my head around just why I am seeing SO many failed wet trays.
The attached picture shows a Wedi tray which has an integral, pre-formed drain - i.e. water cannot help but get down the drain. It also shows the drain cover holder which should be set in place with just a dot of cement based https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ on each corner.
If it is set on corners only, then water under the tiles can work it's way into the drain.
Time after time though, tilers are completely setting the tiles up to the edges and blocking the under-tile access to the drain. Or - even worse, sealing them up with silicone.
The trapped water then leads to breakdown of the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and even the cement face of the tray (on cheaper trays certainly) - resulting in the eventual squidgy wet smelly trays I keep coming across.

As I said previously, Schluter have dealt with this for years - so much so that it's a non-issue.
Wedi are well aware that it's a problem and gladly, many of the drains are now redesigned and have slits to minimise the issue.

It's quite simple - if a wet tray is in occasional use - 1-2 times a day it can generally withstand being installed and tiled incorrectly.
If it's in use continuously - i.e. large family or commercial environment, then you simply cannot afford to do things wrong or cut corners.

OP
P

Paula

View attachment 78373 Right, I just returned from a Wedi AI course and really wrapped my head around just why I am seeing SO many failed wet trays.
The attached picture shows a Wedi tray which has an integral, pre-formed drain - i.e. water cannot help but get down the drain. It also shows the drain cover holder which should be set in place with just a dot of cement based https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ on each corner.
If it is set on corners only, then water under the tiles can work it's way into the drain.
Time after time though, tilers are completely setting the tiles up to the edges and blocking the under-tile access to the drain. Or - even worse, sealing them up with silicone.
The trapped water then leads to breakdown of the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and even the cement face of the tray (on cheaper trays certainly) - resulting in the eventual squidgy wet smelly trays I keep coming across.

As I said previously, Schluter have dealt with this for years - so much so that it's a non-issue.
Wedi are well aware that it's a problem and gladly, many of the drains are now redesigned and have slits to minimise the issue.

It's quite simple - if a wet tray is in occasional use - 1-2 times a day it can generally withstand being installed and tiled incorrectly.
If it's in use continuously - i.e. large family or commercial environment, then you simply cannot afford to do things wrong or cut corners.

Thanks very much for this, Impish! I think I can see what you are gettting at, but we have an Impey tray, and I'm not sure that there would be any access to the drain UNDER the tiles in our case: just to be clear are you saying that with the tray in your photo, then water can get into the drain below the metal grating at the top?

If we don't have this access, then it seems we are doomed to having permanently wet https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ around our drain (I have noticed that our grout is starting to crack around the metal border of the drain, so would imagine that water is getting through there now).

It does seem very odd, as you say, that nobody talks about this issue, when it can create significant problems. Thanks very much for highlighting it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. Please feel free to call our tech team direct on 01460 258 682
If the customer has taken time to register on the forum we'd rather advice to be provided here.

I'll let this one slide but please don't just direct our traffic away from the site. Try to help where you can actually in threads.

Only paying sponsors can post emails, web addresses and phone numbers in threads.

OP
J

J Sid

might be just coincidence but most of the problem wet areas i come across involve impey. i don't see much wrong with the product, other than they're installed a lot by plumbers and builders.
And are all these failures due to tile straight onto the tray and not using the TileSafe membrane! ?

OP
J

J Sid

Alot of the trouble with these types of trays are the shops selling them. Most don't stock or have any knowledge of what products are needed for a correct install.
As we know most builders / multi trades have not evolved enough yet to be able to understand how to read fixing instructions which come with these trays

Reply to Yet Another Suspected Wet Room Floor! Looking For Advice Please! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock