Discuss Yet Another Suspected Wet Room Floor! Looking For Advice Please! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Joanne

Hi there new to this forum and thread. I stumbled across it looking for answers to a similar problem with areas of my grout in a new wet area. Did you ever find out the cause of the leak?? About to tell my builder to carry out checks on the plumbing in the cavity wall. The wet areas are patchy but spreading. They occurred within a week of using the shower and have gradually got worse over the past 2 months.
image.jpeg
They are damp ( builder used a damp meter to read) but not drying out even with ufh on. The problem is slowly getting worse. The picture shows area 10 hours after shower last used

O

Old Mod

Hi Joanne, welcome to the forum.
It's a shame it's not under better circumstances.
I have moved your post to a new thread in order to give you the best chance of resolving your problem.
Good luck.

O

Old Mod

Have you inspected all the sealant work on the vertical corner joints, perimeter of the shower area and around the drain.
Be sure to be meticulous!
Water will penetrate the smallest of holes.

O

One Day

I've seen this before on certain trays which don't have weep holes or any way to allow the water in the adhesive bed to escape down the drain.
If you accept that water WILL remain below the tiles in the adhesive bed, then if that water cannot escape and be replaced by fresh water, bacteria will breed in the adhesive and lead to grout discolouration and ultimately - cement break-down.
I remember most recently a marmox-type tray which most definitely didn't have any means of allowing the sub-tile water to drain. It looked like this: A little upstand all the way around the drain.
Easy enough to tile up to, but how does the water escape?!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g304/bathstyle/019.jpg

J

Joanne

Thank you thank you all. Waiting in for plumber / builder now. Think they are going to remove the grout in first instance. Will update later

P

Paula

Hi Joanne

Very sorry to hear that you are having the same problems as us (I am assuming that you have read my very long thread!). In fact, I have just updated it and have some (perhaps) encouraging news. It seems that the water that was trapped under our tiles has finally (after 6 months) dispersed, and that no further water seems to be getting under the tiles in the shower area now that we have re-grouted with epoxy and put a good silicone seal along the shower screen.

I am sure your builder will inspect the grout carefully, and I would imagine they will find some areas where water is seeping through. As long as you are convinced that the grout is not cracking because the tiles are moving (in which case they will have to be taken up and re-laid) then I would suggest asking them to re-grout with epoxy. Just be aware that you may, like us, have several months ahead where you get wet patches beyond the shower screen while the water dries out.

Fingers crossed ours finally has settled down, and the epoxy looks great.

I hope you will have similar success!

Paula

J

Joanne

Well they removed the grout today and then reported back that it was dry underneath the first few mms of "wet" grout. No evidence of moisture under the tiles at all. The top layers of grout did appear to be somewhat soft in the wet looking areas.

No leaks apparent from the plumbing.

They have re-grouted with the same mapei grout and advised me to keep them posted when we start using the shower again. I will post again with results

I

Ian

Hi @Joanne, was the grout a consistent colour after the the initial installation? It looks a more like efflorescence to me rather than the grout staying wet.

J

Joanne

Yes it was. Looked lovely. One darker area appeared within a couple of weeks which you could almost scratch away. I did this for a bit on the one area but more kept appearing which is then when I called the installers back thinking there might be a leak. They checked with a damp metre and the dark areas were damp.

O

One Day

it's water stuck under the tiles!
these type of trays trap it against the drain assembly. if this type of drain is used, best to use epoxy grout and silicone around the drain.
i guarantee if this tray is used more than once a day, it will get worse....

P

Paula

it's water stuck under the tiles!
these type of trays trap it against the drain assembly. if this type of drain is used, best to use epoxy grout and silicone around the drain.
i guarantee if this tray is used more than once a day, it will get worse....

Just out of interest, which trays have the "weep holes" around the drain that you referred to earlier? I must admit I've never heard of this before. Our tray was an Impey tray and certainly didn't boast of having any such holes, and we had exactly the same problem as Joanne. If I ever had another wetroom installed I would be interested to know which trays had such a feature?

O

One Day

Just out of interest, which trays have the "weep holes" around the drain that you referred to earlier? I must admit I've never heard of this before. Our tray was an Impey tray and certainly didn't boast of having any such holes, and we had exactly the same problem as Joanne. If I ever had another wetroom installed I would be interested to know which trays had such a feature?

the only ones i've seen which drain sub-surface water are schluter's ditra-drain.
it's a problem with design which is only just starting to become apparent in the UK.
Most manufacturers have a head in the sand attitude unfortunately.
The US and Aus have sussed it long ago though.

Reaction score
Your right Impey trays don't have weep holes but do have a large amount of adjustment to carer for all tile sizes. I fit a lot of wetrooms and always insist is is fitted with underfloor heating as most grouts aren't waterproof.

O

One Day

it's not just impey. loads of trays have little upstands. ufh is a good idea, as is epoxy grout too.
when i went on Schluter's training course it was a real education learning that water management rather than prevention is key to making a wet area last.

Reply to Yet Another Suspected Wet Room Floor! Looking For Advice Please! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks