Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss wrong tile colour, damaged ufh, who pays for engineer to fix? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

james hailwood

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
ok so im on a job with 3 bathrooms to go at. Ive got 2 of them prepped with deltaboard 6mm,ufh,self level and waterproof. i came to start the floor in the main bathroom saturday and the tiles for it had been delivered. i cracked on and got the majority of the floor down before the customer arrived and said the tile was too dark and the wrong colour. so he decided to take them up which i did and he paid me a days wage for it. but with the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ going close to set i had to scrape/chip it all up and accidently nicked an ufh cable. so now an engineer has to come out from Warmup to fix it. we agreed to go halves on the cost but after the weekend i believe the tile shop who delivered the wrong tiles should be paying the customer for my labour and the engineer to fix it as it was their original mistake who created the problem.
Thoughts please?? im i right or wrong??

D

Dumbo

It says on most Tile boxes no liability can not be accepted after tiles have been fixed . I don't know how much weight that carries in a court of law but I'm sure the tile shop would probably quote that .

S

Spare Tool

Feel your pain on this one Jimmy, the customer agreeing to pay your wage for the day says they understand it was not your mistake either, you've done nothing wrong here, except maybe if you'd have just warned the customer about the possibility of the ufh getting damaged and agreed you would take no liability if that happened then you wouldn't be out of pocket, agreeing to go half's on the repair already has admitted you were partly at fault, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Unless you use the tile shop regularly and have a close working relationship with them and can maybe get them to chip in for at least some of the costs involved you'll maybe have to take this one on the chin..

T

Time's Ran Out

I don't see it as the shops fault !
Too dark and the wrong colour is not the same as - it's not the tile ordered - or is it?

D

Dumbo

I always check with client that It correct Tile as they remember . I have had where they say it is wrong Tile then go back to shop and then say o yes it is the right one .

OP
J

james hailwood

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Well the tiles sent here arent the ones the customer ordered, dragon grey, but he ordered sandstone grey. I admitted fault to the customer for nicking the cable but I honestly think neither me or himcoming should pay asif the correct tiles were sent none of this would have happened. I dont use that tile shop regularly.
Then check this one out lol, I gave the customer the measurements for two bathrooms sohe could buy the ufh mat. One was 7.5m2 the other 3.5m2 they sent out a 8m2 and a 5m2 ufh mat for the bathrooms. Absolute mong squad!!!

J

J Sid

always get the client to sign of they are happy with what's delivered, and happy for the tiler to fix them.
surely this is step one on turning up to the job or have I been doing wrong all my life?

sorry to say, tilers fault and should pick up the bill.

T

Tile Shop

Didn't your customer check them when they were delivered? How long were they in the customers possession before you fitted them?

I'm sure if the wrong one had been delivered the shop would have swapped them long before you were even due to arrive on the job???

Or is it another case of the customer arranged delivery of the tiles for the day you were due to fit them?

OP
J

james hailwood

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hes got more work ahead so tile shop has admittedjust fault of wrong tile. Yet to speak with customer about whether we should pay or not

OP
J

james hailwood

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I arrived 8am saturday morning couldn't get intouch with client till 10 so setup etc. He then and told me which tiles were going where. Then he arrived at around 1pm and said theyve sent wrong ones

J

J Sid

so your saying the right tiles were delivered but he changed his mine on colour after seeing them?

T

Tile Shop

He then and told me which tiles were going where.

How could he if he didn't have the correct tiles there? If they've said "I want that one, over there", and just pointed at a pile of tiles, then the customer has agreed for you to continue with what you have. But if he's told you [as an example] black, but then you see white tiles, surely it should be clarified?

There is no right or wrong answer, only opinion, and this is mine. If you feel that you should take absolutely no responsibility or blame for whats happened, bill your customer for your time and let them and the supplier argue it out over who pays.

Ok so the supplier got it wrong and held their hands up, but they should be given the opportunity to rectify the problem before its fitted, not after everyone has wasted hours fixing something that could have been checked in less than 10 seconds.

I really hate the way, mainly the customer but on the odd occasion the tiler, take no responsibility for what they are purchasing/fixing. Not saying its your fault but it was a very simple mistake that if everyone did their bit could have been easily spotted, and wouldn't have turned into this cluster f-bomb you find yourself in now.

Reply to wrong tile colour, damaged ufh, who pays for engineer to fix? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock