Discuss Working away from home in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Time's Ran Out

With the type of work I look for I tend to work away a bit during the year.
Just now I'am down south on a limestone floor and tonight in a pub having a coffee and people watching.
Disco pubs were never like this!
Some bloke just asked me to sit next to him, young ladies are wondering what I'am doing in here and there's no football on the telly ( no telly).
What is happening to this world.
I blame Disraeli and the corn laws!
Still home on Monday and apparently my wife has missed me.
Brighton lost, we're at home next so there might be a 2nd division title yet.
That's the nearest I've got to a blog.

O

One Day

I Started tiling so that I could be home more. I used to work away a couple of days each week, traveling the uk.
In 10 years I've worked away twice. Makes a nice change and the money's good but I prefer my own bed, and miss my family!

Reaction score
TJ. Welcome to the south. We now have deserts down here due to global warming. Not nice deserts mind - mud flats extending miles out from Weston Super Mare, littered with spent syringes, MacDonalds deflated helium balloons, and rusting walking frames.

Beware of Thatchers bearing gifts of golden liquids - drinking causes massive belching, schizophrenia, and a tendency to dance in straw sacks singing Wurzel songs.

Too many of our Lady's have moustaches, and many men swear by suspendies and tights. Only students and UKIP voters frequent pubs. And our shopping centres are all British Heart Foundation and Costa's . Speaking of which, never buy a Costa Coffee from a southern garage. The farmers wash out their red diesel canisters and the resulting sludge gets pumped into the Costa machine to mix with a 100ml shot of Coffee.

My advice is get back in yer van and drive as fast as yer can back oop north. Just leave a contact for that tiling job before you go..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

F

Flintstone

I don't work away as a rule, did a few weeks here and there about 2 years ago. I probably would work away for upto a week on occasion but it would have to be really worth while

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I used to work away quite a bit until the kids came along. Once spent 6 weeks working in TJ's part of the world, a team of 4 of us fitting out a showroom. We were on a cracking day rate for the time with digs, travel expenses etc all covered. Came home skint......that 'toon though.

Reply to Working away from home in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks