Discuss Why do i need an nvq by 2010? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

steve mason

Been tiling for awhile now and have had good feedback from customers on jobs done however im not that busy all the time and the cost of an nvq seems high. I only do domestic work so would i need it or is it just if you work on site? plus if i do can i offset the cost against my tax? Any advise would be much appreciated guys.

O

Olz

Is this needing an NVQ business by 2010 a roumour or fact, i know it's been banded about the forum a bit latley, but I dont seem to be able to find anything on the web that suggests that it's becoming mandatory.

T

The D

You will need a NVQ to get a CSCS card. You will need a CSCS card to get on site. “FACT”

V

Varley

If you don't do site work then it may not affect you as much, however who is to say that insurance companies etc won't start demanding it, but as of now it shouldn't really affect the domestic market too much.

O

Olz

It is a fact , you will not be able to get your CSCS card without one and you will find it harder and harder to get on site or into domestic households without your NVQ Level 2 by 2010. At the moment the government is backing this and is offering funding for un qualified people to gain their NVQ Level 2. the funding is through Train To Gain and as long as you dont have any previous qualifications and under 5 GCSEs then it will be free of charge. Good luck and get qualified

Any idea of the cost, for someone like myself, i have a levels so wont qualify for the funding, i also have a full time job as well as the tiling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Forget that, found a CSCS test centre not too far from me, £25.00 for the test only, the missus can get me a copy of the study book from work gratis.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Olz

Cost wise if you have to pay for it will usually be between £800 - £1000 depending on who you choose to use . Sounds like a lot to fork out but well worth it , when everyone who didnt bother getting one cant work and you can carry on.

I think not getting one would be a bad move

Good luck:thumbsup:

Cheers for the info, i'll have to look into a course.

U

Ultimate Tiling

Do you think site work will be easier or more rewarding once 2010 comes, with fewer people being able to work on site, also could this have a bad effect on domestic tilers as usual site tilers who don't want the hassle of getting qualified will mussle in on domestic work?

Dont know myself but for a guess I bet half the site workers now days havent got a valid british passport never ming a cscs card and the still get work.

C

CLAYS TILES

You will need a NVQ to get a CSCS card. You will need a CSCS card to get on site. “FACT”
i've just done my cscs card scheme & i've not got an NVQ in tiling, so i'm not sure you have your “FACTS” correct there m8

:stupid:

T

The D

i've just done my cscs card scheme & i've not got an NVQ in tiling, so i'm not sure you have your “FACTS” correct there m8

:stupid:
You now have one year to get your NVQ otherwise you will not be able to renew your CSCS card FACT.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm on the understanding that domestic work is still classed as on-site with many training centres, insurance firms and the governing bodies that set these accreditation standards.

Clearly the first step is to enforce it on building sites (new builds) as that's manageable. It's harder to enforce when you can tile Mrs Jones' kitchen providing you have the skill and tools - but when it comes to claiming on your insurance I'd like to think you could still claim - but it's debatable.

I'd consider it a selling point for your firm. Just think if there are 50 tilers in your area but 5 saying they are NVQ'd up. Just think who will have the edge on the quotes?

T

The D

The only way it will work in the domestic market is to educate the general public. This is best don in my humble opinion through the media TV shows like
rouge traders.

S

smurf21

And you dont need to pay 800 to 1000 pound for nvq you can can go down the site assesment route

Reply to Why do i need an nvq by 2010? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks