Discuss Who Is Right in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

IanA2

I've had some tiling done in a new bathroom. The guy who did it has worked for me before although last time he subbed the tiling out to a proper tiler. This time he's done it himself.

The problem is that the tiles are distinctly uneven, some higher than others and not level. Overall a pretty poor job I think.

The old floor had been taken up and re-boarded and ply laid.

I've tried to tackle him on this and he says:

"I'm sorry you feel the tiling standard is poor, if it is not level this will be down to floor joists being uneven and even with replacing floor and plying this will not correct the dip unless major alterations are made to the sub floor."

I think this is nonsense as when I've tiled in the past I've used different amounts of adhesive to level out any problems with the thickness of the tiles or "blemishes" in the substrate. Remember this was a new floor the tiles were being laid on and it's not a question of slope, just uneven lay.

So, who is right, me or the plumber?

Thanks

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If the floor WAS flat, level and stable, then it's down to poor workmanship. I would also worry as to what adhesives/grouts he has used??

I

Italy

Which sentence did you mean? I'll try and take some pics but the tiles avery dark and it'll probably not show up very well.
So, who is right, me or the plumber?....
at my home. plumber . do. plumber.
tiler do tiler . hahaha sorry
putting photos.
here many good tiler. gladly advise you.
I be the last person to give advice. :)

B

Bill

Are the tiles laid brick bond style? If so, this can cause unevenness as some tiles are not flat and therefore will have distinct lippage where the middle of one tile meets the two tiles on the next row.

This is one possibility but without photos it will be hard to determine exactly what is wrong.

Can you take a photo with a straight edge on the tiles to check for flatness?

I

IanA2

Are the tiles laid brick bond style? If so, this can cause unevenness as some tiles are not flat and therefore will have distinct lippage where the middle of one tile meets the two tiles on the next row.

This is one possibility but without photos it will be hard to determine exactly what is wrong.

Can you take a photo with a straight edge on the tiles to check for flatness?

No they are not brick bond, which reminds me, he laid the tiles with the length across the threshold ie like _ rather than | which I found irritating as I always thought tiles should be laid length-ways as you enter a room. I suppose I should have ensured he did that but just assumed he would lay them like that as I had explained to him (at length) that I wanted the the tiling to allow the eye to travel up and over the dais (freestanding bath is sat on raised platform) and up the back wall. Hey ho....

I'll see about pics, not easy because of dark colour. One consequence of the unevenness is that you can plainly see gaps under the skirting board on the walls...grrr.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If he wasn't able to level the floor out with adhesive it should have been latexed. It's obviously a job he isn't skilled enough to do and he should have left it to a pro.

I

IanA2

I've taken a few pics which, to some extent show the problem. His latest reasoning is:
"I laid the floor to what I had and this is what any competent tiler would do. The floor is even it is just not 100% flat due to the dip." and: "...the only problem you have is with regarding the floor, which unfortunately is something that happens." I should add that the pics without skirting (that's another story) are of the dais which he built. Dip? He's having a laugh!
IMG_0580.jpg
IMG_0581.jpg
IMG_0582.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

I don't think the pics show the real issue!
A plumber doing the tiling is going to raise concern but there are some good all round bathroom fitters who take their time and make a great job.
In the pictures you have provided I assume the gap to the skirting is your worry however a silicone joint to seal the joint to the wood panelling would suffice. Other views may show other concerns.
Preparation is paramount and it should be as flat as possible prior to tiling.

I

IanA2

I don't think the pics show the real issue!
A plumber doing the tiling is going to raise concern but there are some good all round bathroom fitters who take their time and make a great job.
In the pictures you have provided I assume the gap to the skirting is your worry however a silicone joint to seal the joint to the wood panelling would suffice. Other views may show other concerns.
Preparation is paramount and it should be as flat as possible prior to tiling.

This guy thinks that he is a good all round bathroom/kitchen fitter. He does the electrics (satisfactory) and the plumbing (satisfactory).

The gap is a concern, as it is unsightly and very noticeable (directly opposite the loo!), I showed it to illustrate the general unevenness of his tiling which is apparent across the whole floor.

His main problem is his attitude, he thinks he's brilliant at everything. By the way he wants to charge £30 M2 for laying these tiles. His "day rate" is allegedly £250 which he claims is justifiable because he can do everything!!

H

hmtiling

The meterage rate,imo, isn't expensive and the plumbers I work with have similar day rates. The problem lies with him not being ' brilliant'.
He should have checked the floor prior to tiling and offered you the choice of going with it or latexing to get it level. This may have resulted in a height discrepancy at the doorway but, again, that's your choice to make.
As abovea bead of mastic, neatly applied, would greatly improve appearance.

Reply to Who Is Right in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks