Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss White Patches Over Indian Stone in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, I recently had a patio laid with Indian Stone, the contractor who did the job sealed it afterwards but it has gone dusty white over most of the surface, some of the white is flaking off, can anyone tell me what has caused this, and what should I get him to do to rectify it. Any suggestions would be useful, many thanks.

OP
S

Spud

looks like the sealer has bloomed to me this sometimes happens if you seal moisture in the tile

OP
D

DHTiling

Like i said.. for salts to come through sandstone it will take more than 2 days..

Same for sulphate attack Doug..

Looked at the pics and it looks like what has already been mentioned.. sealer has bloomed due to moisture..and could just peel off if topical sealer was used.

You need to call the builder back and ask what he used and how long did he wait for the stone to dry before sealing.

OP
S

siob

Hi, did you sort the white patches? Ive had the same happen to me. Indian Stone patio layed and looked beautiful. Then the cement pointing was done with a dry mix brushed all over, then brick acid to remove any stains, then sealed. Hey presto lots of white patches all ove rthe stone and a grey-ish haze which has dulled all the colours which were fine before. Not sure whether its the stone soaking up the concrete below, the sry mix brushed on, the brick acid or the seal so.... im getting the stone sandblasted back to an original layer which has not been treated and leaving it to let any natural chemical reaction to the underneath cement happen and hopefully in time they will look good as new. Thats the idea anyway which seems better than ripping it all up!

OP
S

siob

No its a red/yellow stone. The red is more affected by the white patche, the yellow less so but im thinking thats just because its lighter and harder to see the discolouration

OP
S

siob

PS. Dave i can upload pics later on to show the discolourations, any info/help is much appreciated and if youre doubtful the sandblasting will restore the stone to a level not affected by the chemical recation caused by any of the dry mix cement brushing or brick acid or seal trapping in any/all of these your advice would be greatly received. The sandblasting is planned for the next dry day, probaly Mon or Tue next week.

Reply to White Patches Over Indian Stone in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock