Discuss White grout that looks grubby after a few years... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

KateJ

I hear white grout looks great at first but soon starts to look shabby - can I prevent this from the start using a sealant of some kind?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Use a good grout and wash off well often. In shower areas its always body fats and salts so a good cleaner used often prevents it. Even if it's sealed it can happen still as it's on the surface of the grout usually.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As above. Grouts have improved tremendously over the years, go for a modified professional grout and allow it plenty of time to dry before putting into use (at least 3 days). Rinse and dry shower areas after use.

T

Tile Shop

upload_2016-12-13_13-21-30.png

LOL

T

Tile Shop

Anyway, back to the thread.

I hear white grout looks great at first but soon starts to look shabby - can I prevent this from the start using a sealant of some kind?

Impish's idea of epoxy, probably not simple, but is the belts and braces solution. Just stiffer and harder to use.

Another option, use dark grout. It'll hide discolouration, but will highlight any flaws in your tiling....... if there are any ;)

Cement based white will discolour. Its unavoidable, but you can prolong the whiteness. As above there are sealers that can be used like the LTP Grout and tile protector spray, or the Sealguard spray. But would also help if you had a good quality grout from the off, like Mapei's Ultracolour Plus, which has a built in repellent which albeit not perfect, does help. but combined with the spray should make it much easier to keep clean.

When it does eventually go grotty, @Lee@TileTown has a nifty little colour reviver which you simply paint over the joints. but it'll be months down the line that you'll need to consider that, providing you don't cut corners and do the grouting properly.

Reply to White grout that looks grubby after a few years... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks