Discuss Which trowel to use for Schluter Ditra? in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

PJPro

TF
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm laying large format porcelain tiles over screen with wet underfloor heating. I'm using Ditra as an uncoupling membrane, with Schulter movement joints at door thresholds. As the title of this thread suggests, I'm not sure which size trowel I should be using under the Ditra.

The Schulter UK website suggests a 4 x 4 mm square notched trowel. A US Forum recommends either a worn 1/4 x 1/4 inch (6 x 6 mm?) or 11/64 inch (4.5 x 4.5 mm?) square notch. I can't find much discussion on UK forums. Here's the link to the US site.

Trowel size for Schluter Ditra - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile - http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97032

Some say that using too big a notch reduces the effectiveness of the membrane and makes it harder to avoid lumps and bumps in the matting. Others say the 4 x 4 mm size is understated and provides too little adhesive.

I've tried to source a Schulter Ditra trowel but they don't seem readily available in the UK. I was thinking of buying a 4.5 mm or 6.0 mm square notch Rubi trowel. Which one should I get?

Incidentally, I was going to use Mapeker Rapid Set Flex to bond the Ditra to the screed. I assume this is OK? I have primed the screen and then topped this off with some Mapei self levelling compound....so the Ditra will need to bond to the self levelling compound.

Any advice will be gratefully received. :)

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
4mm is fine. You can get 10m a bag then instead of 8. I always keep my adhesive nice and wet also so it is more tacky. I've had to try and remove it before and it was a nightmare so I know it works.

A

A williams

We use a 3mm trowel on ditra matting pretty much all the time ! We use the same trowel over and over because the tub stuff is super sticky!!

Hope this help's

O

One Day

I have a few Ditra trowels. which are 3mm. On a lovely smooth flat floor or with ardex af200 it's fine.
On rougher floors I have used a 4mm mosaic or 6mm wall trowel but on a flat angle to keep the ribs low.
Runny wet adhesive works best.

PJPro

TF
Reaction score
OK Guys. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll go with the 4.5 square notched.

I'm also going to be doing some wall tiling. 30 x 10 cm ceramics. The walls have been freshly plaster boarded (dot & dab). I've primed the walls and was planning to use a 10mm square notched trowel. Is that too big? I used this size trowel for some large format wall tiles and it worked well but was wondering whether I could go smaller? 8mm? 6mm? The walls are good but not absolutely perfect.

PJPro

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice but I've gone with 4.5x4.5mm notched trowel. Hopefully, this will be OK.

Any thoughts on the trowel for the wall tiles guys?

PJPro

TF
Reaction score
I've put down the Ditra using Mapei Kerquick using the 4.5x4.5mm trowel. I mixed twice the amount of addy I needed. I reckon I used about 2.5kg per m2.

Reply to Which trowel to use for Schluter Ditra? in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks