Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Whatever it takes for preparation in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

B

Blunt Tool

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Been on here a few months now and have noticed some tilers don't do their own preparations, especially walls? I do whatever it needs, even if it means installing extra dwangs to suit Wedi boards, installing Wedi boards, taping, tanking etc same as floors. I'm interested, the tilers who leave it to someone else, I see your point as it's a quicker turnover of job and you can concentrate on just tile but how do you know it's been done to what you recommend?

OP
F

Flintstone

I don't do any wall preperation except tanking. mainly because there is no need for me to do it.
I will avoid any removal of old tiles at all costs because I hate it. Most bathrooms i attend usually are having a rip out and re board. I do want to start offering overboarding with wedi etc, if they want to pay for that.

OP
B

Blunt Tool

I don't do any wall preperation except tanking. mainly because there is no need for me to do it.
I will avoid any removal of old tiles at all costs because I hate it. Most bathrooms i attend usually are having a rip out and re board. I do want to start offering overboarding with wedi etc, if they want to pay for that.
So are you happy enough with what has been done normally?

OP
W

WetSaw

I do everything myself, haven't found anyone here I can trust. Plus the fact that there's always a surprise waiting for you such as this floor that started off as a simple ufh job... 20170703_164745.jpg

OP
W

WetSaw

Concrete blown?

Concrete would have been nice! It's a very weak mortar under which is assorted rubble, pebbles and gravel until you get to the slab. At least it gives me the opportunity to make sure there's a damp course and decent insulation.

OP
B

Blunt Tool

50 / 50. I don't don't take on bathroom re fits, usually through a plumber and I walk in and tile.
Yes same Andy don't do plumbing etc, only when there is a leak, but when I quote usually customer tells me joiner is going to put new plasterboard on walls and green plasterboard in the shower. That's when I advise them about paper faced boards and weights and Wedi boards etc so if it's a joiner that has never done this before they will do rip out and plumber will do the new pipe work then I will go in and do the Wedi board installation. Some of the joiners I work with have spent time with me to learn how to install it and I can trust them to get on with it. They actually prefer it as bathrooms are normally smallest places in house and trying to install 2.4metre sheets of plasterboard!

OP
F

Flintstone

All depends on the budget of the job really, I do more floors than anything these days. I've been to look at a wet room today which is a plumbers own house, tray fitted, painted plastered walls, 12mm ply on the floor. Felt like banging my head on the wall.

Mark Frost

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
i dont do plumbing.. but wood work and boarding prep of walls i do all myself. Im still to meet a plasterer that can board plumb and spot on as me.. (not blowing my own trumpet sorry if it come across like it) but i just dont understand how other trades cant get walls n floor level or flat. It really not that difficult

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Job I'am on they were going to have the walls bond coated and plastered. I advised (told them really) that tiles were too heavy for plaster and I installed Wedi stuck and mechanically fixed. Before I even got to tile the wall panels the render all fell off! Yes they fixed a finished render coat to all the walls and within 2 weeks it was all on the floor!

OP
F

Flintstone

So, the most common problem I come up against is like today's job I've looked at, a bathroom needs tile and it's all skimmed walls, and when i break the bad news, it all goes quiet. Most certainly they have got somebody that tells them what they want to here.

Reply to Whatever it takes for preparation in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock