Discuss What grout for wetroom floors? discuss! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Aston

Hi all,

Just wanted to get a feel for what types/make of grouts everyone is using on wetroom floors? I have a done a few wetrooms over the past couple of years and have used Bal micromax and weber without any issues as far as I am aware, however, I have one to do in a few weeks and was wondering if epoxy grout is a better option? never used it before and am aware it can be a more difficult application but have also noticed that it seems it is for grout joints that are over 3mm (mapei kerapoxy specifically), is that correct? Also I understand that it isn't flexible so could be an issue on a timber based floor?

Cheers, John J.M.C Tiling

Hi John
is the advice you are looking for based on a particular job or are you just gauging general opinions for future considerations?

reason I ask is, you mention a timber floor? so yes, there could be issues using the epoxy especially if you have concerns about its construction.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Yes Aston, I have a wetroom to install in an upstairs bathroom. Always looking to minimise any potential problems so just wanted to know if epoxy is a better, more fool proof way of grouting this type of install? I've never had a problem myself with using a good quality grout in a wetroom but have been reading some threads on here that say it could be a potential problem with water going through the grout and causing water to pool underneath somewhere hence discolouring the grout.

A

Aston

John,
if you read everything that could go wrong on here you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning ;0)

seriously, the epoxy does have an advantage regarding mold resistance and water pressure resistance but apart from that, if you are happy, stick with whats always worked for you in the past.

Reaction score
I know it's liked a lot on here, but I find it sets too soft.
Evening Gents,
Grout 3000 is softer than some grouts, mainly those that are based on a sand/cement type formulation. We have looked into this in great detail, as well as having the Grout 3000 tested as part of the EN13888 standards. The Grout 3000 is officially classed as abrasive resistant, i am pretty sure though that the test replicates foot traffic and that type of wear as opposed to its resistance to a sharp edge.
You can be rest assured that the Grout 3000 conforms to the requirements of EN1388 and meets CG 2 WA. It has become an extremely popular product and hand on heart I am only aware of one issue that we had when the grout was too soft for everyday use, we eventually found out that the home owner mopped the floor twice a day using Dettol detergent!! The floor was mopped within hours of it being grouted so the grout never got chance to fully cure.
For us, it's about trying to get the right balance of usability and ease of use versus fast curing and surface hardness. If we make the grout harder this compromises the workability, it can flash set on the tile and becomes very difficult to clean off. Agreed, the grout is softer than some other grouts but hopefully the ease of application and the long lasting end result make up for this.
Regards to all
Mark Kelly

T

Time's Ran Out

Evening Gents,
Grout 3000 is softer than some grouts, mainly those that are based on a sand/cement type formulation. We have looked into this in great detail, as well as having the Grout 3000 tested as part of the EN13888 standards. The Grout 3000 is officially classed as abrasive resistant, i am pretty sure though that the test replicates foot traffic and that type of wear as opposed to its resistance to a sharp edge.
You can be rest assured that the Grout 3000 conforms to the requirements of EN1388 and meets CG 2 WA. It has become an extremely popular product and hand on heart I am only aware of one issue that we had when the grout was too soft for everyday use, we eventually found out that the home owner mopped the floor twice a day using Dettol detergent!! The floor was mopped within hours of it being grouted so the grout never got chance to fully cure.
For us, it's about trying to get the right balance of usability and ease of use versus fast curing and surface hardness. If we make the grout harder this compromises the workability, it can flash set on the tile and becomes very difficult to clean off. Agreed, the grout is softer than some other grouts but hopefully the ease of application and the long lasting end result make up for this.
Regards to all
Mark Kelly

Isn't it this type of post that makes this forum so valuable ! To be able to have a response from the manufacturer to general tiler concerns says a lot about the company.
Thank you Tilemaster.

F

Flintstone

One thing I I'm interested to hear is how long is advisded to leave a wet room floor once grouted Before using the shower?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Mark if you were to be impregnating the grout after application, how long to release all moisture say a 3mm by 12 mm deep . How long before you recomend before this type of product is applied.

Reply to What grout for wetroom floors? discuss! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks