Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Wetroom Grout Micro Cracks in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

C

Craig Hamilton

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi looking for some advice I had my wetroom tiled with travertine about 4 months ago I noticed lots of very small cracks in the grout so I decided to removed the damaged areas and regrout them I used weber pro as that is what the tiler had used but I have noticed the new grout has some cracks already no traffics been on the floor just done yesterday I don't know what to do am I being over paranoid the full room is tanked with a membrane I have attached an image any advice would be great

Thank you
Craig
DSC_0039.JPG

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Looks like a cracked tile on the left!
More grout than tile I think.
I'd have got the tiler back rather than mess it up yourself. Doubt if he'd be interested now ( if he was originally).

OP
C

Craig Hamilton

The gaps are 4mm the grout said suitable for gaps 1-10mm
Cheers
Craig

OP
C

Craig Hamilton

I called the tiler he wasn't interested and it was already messed up yeah that's the only cracked tile on the floor so u think it's a grout problem?

Craig

OP
R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

so many wrongs travertine 100x100 more holes than a swiss cheese wide joints the wet room from hell you could not have chosen a worse tile to use .or grout joint size 6 to 10mm you want some advive dont ever use it .
or spend two hours a week and more just trying to keep it clean.

OP
O

One Day

If travertine (which is oh-so-porous) is used in wet areas without epoxy grout and saturation sealing with something very good, then I really hope the waterproofing in your wet room is top-drawer!!

Serious note now: If there is excessive movement on the tray it could cause the micro-cracks.
Do you know what kind of tray was installed and onto what?
A picture of the drain may yield further clues...

OP
C

Craig Hamilton

Hi the tray was an akw tuff form the subfloor was 22mm chipboard the tray was screwed directly on top just with a hole cutout for the drain there was also straps put across the joists at each end of the drain the tray feels solid and there has not been anyone on it since it was regrouted so should not have had any movement

Thank you
Craig

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Could be that the grout has dried to quickly and shrunk ever so slightly .. Did you "parge" it well into the joints.... And as before ... Not the best choice for a wet area..keep it well sealed..o_O

Reply to Wetroom Grout Micro Cracks in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock