Discuss wetroom floor with wedi - envelope the tiles still? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Currently building wetroom with wedi gear. Floor tiles are 15x15 unglazed ceramic non slip (ugly!!)
Only done a handful of wetrooms and the floors have always been large format (so envelope cutting) or mosaics.
Should I still do what I normally do with bigger tiles and dry lay and mark falls from wedi tray to tile and envelope cut? Or will tiles that size just sort the falls out themselves over the grand scheme of things like mosaics?

Thanks

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Cool - thought so.
Next question - Wedi tray and boards and they're 2 part tanking paste and sticky tape for joints and corners.
Would you guys prime it all first. I normally prime everything but there's no mention of primer on their tanking kit.

L

LM

You'd prime the substrate before you apply the tanking system, but you don't need to prime the cured tanking paste.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was never going to prime over the tanking. Just wanted to know if you guys prime wedi before tanking. No mention of it in their kit.

W

White Room

Wedi and others I don't prime, just give em a wipe over with a damp cloth if it looks dusty.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If you mean the tiles are 150mm X 150mm then you'll still have to envelope them

Cheers Lee, apparently 100mmx100mm is the limit before you need to start cutting in the falls.
Got all the first fix and boarding done. Wedi trays are 40mm thick and he only wanted 20mm wedi over rest of floor so it's been a right pain battening and boarding between joists at the right height to get that to work.
All this money spent on a wetroom and these are the god awful floor tiles:

20160805_175117.jpg

:eek:Feels like I'm tiling my local leisure centre changing rooms!

Gets worse - he's got 60x30 slate for the walls and he wants white grout! Managed to get him to compromise a bit and he's happy with silver grey (but that will still look white next to them) oh and he's having brickbond :(

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Went in for an hour today to give everywhere a final coat of sealer.
Was hoping it would look better now grouted. Slate looks okay but I would have gone with a darker grout, but that floor!!
Customer agrees he made a mistake with the floor but he'll have to live with it.
Hopefully when I've done with final fix it will look better.
20160817_134622.jpg

20160817_134024.jpg

20160817_134007.jpg

20160817_134110.jpg

20160817_134329.jpg

20160817_134139.jpg

Reply to wetroom floor with wedi - envelope the tiles still? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks