Discuss Wet Shower Area. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

scotmk

Not really a wet room as such, but my new ensuite is using a wet room kit tray over the floor and I will be getting a custom shower screen to go down over seat and end of Bath down to the floor and return back to Wall.

I used a thick cement board and tile backer boards with a wet room tanking kit.

Looks pretty waterproof lol.

20160102_085557.jpg 20160115_112002.jpg 20160115_192504.jpg 20160115_192513.jpg 20160116_095446.jpg 20160116_095508.jpg 20160116_162308.jpg

S

SJPurdy

Looks good.
I can see that you taped over all the internal corners and board joints as part of the tanking; but how did you deal with the edge of seat (and bath shelf edge) joints?
How are you going to proceed with and finish the shower and rest of floor areas. You are obviously aware of the tray being higher than the rest of the floor; is this planned to cope with different tile thicknesses?

I hope that the top and bottom of the alcove work well into the tiling set out - they used to drive me mad!

S

scotmk

You cannot see it, but I used what little tape I had left to cover the edge. I also tanked this area of seat edge with an extra coat of tanking. The top of the seat is also being tiled out on top of the tiles going down in a slight gradient so the flow of water should fall of without sitting on it.

Yes with the shower tray being a little higher, that was planned as I don't actually like wet rooms, so the shower screen is going to come down the wall over the shelf edge by about 1 inch then down the side and sit on top of the shower tray then return to the wall with a door section. So the bath side is actually out of the wet zone.

I hope the alcove works too lol, my concentration hen setting out was to finish as close to the ceiling as possible without cuts, incorporating the tray, seat and bath edges. Spent a day setting out .

I actually ended up putting an extra 5mm tile backer board around the seat and bath top to raise it up to compensate setting out so it works well now and I also tanked this again. So I have 4 le els of ranking on seat and 2 tile boards lol.

S

scotmk

And for some reason the wife does not like floor tiles, so we are having this screededd and Karndean floor layed in tile fakeness lol.

S

SJPurdy

I assume that the shower base is going to be tiled/mosaiced and that the screen will sit on top of these. Outside will then be SLC topped with Karndean. If water soaks through the tile grout into the adhesive layer how are you going to prevent this soaking outwards into your Karndean base?
I hope I don't sound "picky" but I am interested in your design and want to ensure that you have not missed anything.
Check out recent threads in this wet room section that discus the design fitting of the drain assembly in wet room trays to ensure that you have/are fitting yours correctly too.

S

scotmk

Ermmmmm, lol I have tiled the Base already and I have tiled the upstand bit too, so the floor screed will lay into the upstand ed tiles.

The shower tray itself was installed by a good plumber who I trust and the drain assembly was all tested (as far as it could be) It is cut into the floor and sealed.

The main edge of the tray is tiled pretty flat/square for the the screens to sit on and the rest has a really good fall to the drain.

I will be using a clear waterproof bathroom sealant stuffs around all the edges before the floor gets screeded and then after the floor is layed next to the tray.

That's all I know

20160122_162503-1.jpg

S

SJPurdy

Its looking good. Sealing the joint bottom of upstand to tanking on floor is a good idea.

Reply to Wet Shower Area. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks