Discuss Wet Room Refit with many issues! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

MartinTORR

Hi all, just new this forum, and tiling!

Sorry for this long post, I have a very different situation than most. Here's the picture, I live in an artist's commune, in a converted portacabin that is supported roughly 1m off the ground. So, there is probably a bit more structural movement than most, I know this is not ideal, but I live with that and do the best I can out of it. There has been leakage from the bathroom into the kitchen and bedroom. Of course, I know the structure will always cause slight issues.

The problem was 2 things, the tiles on the floor were not grouted, and there was not enough space to grout them, so, there was silicone put in as a repair measure. These tiles were patio tiles, 3cm thick, put on with polymax beds the last time. The solution lasted a year until the water created reservoirs underneath, and seaped through to the rooms due to no waterproof tanking at the edges ! (The repair work was carried out by a mosiac artist, not a qualified professional)

I know, that
1 - I should rip out the whole bathroom and start again, as was a dodgy installation, however, that's a no go, as 'cost', time, experience, and difficulty, we only have 5 more years to stay here, therefore, we are looking for a 5 year solution.
2 - This repair / fix job is probably not guaranteed to last, however, I would like some advice from other pro's towards finding workable solutions for this 5 year period. As, the property will not be resold, it will be torn down.

So, now.
1 - The 'old' concrete (on lewis sheeting) has been waterproofed along the joining edges and corners of the installation with sealing paste and band, eurocol 685/063.
2 - There was one small crack in it, around 1mm thin,(job was done 1 year ago) which leads to the bedroom, where we noticed it (panels and some floor ripped off, wet wood removed, dried out as best as possible, now on the 2 weeks of drying). We have moved back into the bedroom, and left a gap at the joning corners of around 2 inch to continue natural drying, with the aid of a fan. (Unfortunately we cannot do the whole corners of the bathroom up to the roof, as we're keeping the old tiles on, due to 'cost', time, therefore, only the floor and shoulder of the wetroom are being built up again)

The problem now and unorthodox questions...
A - We are going to raise self level the original concrete bed that is there (already level), is it possible to put chicken wire, or a metal grill through self leveling cement to 'toughen' it up some more and help prevent movement?
B - What level raise would you recommend? (I was thinking of a 15mm raise, as then 5mm of tile adhesive, giving around 10mm for the tiles)
C - From the original concrete bedding floor, we removed concrete behind the linear drain to check the waterpipe connection, only exposing the drainage pipe, a square around 13cm x 10cm... At the deepest part (4cmx2cm) is 3cm deep to old concrete. Would you recommend to self level this first and do it 2 stages, or, do you think I could 'get away' with self leveling everything at once?

Thanks in advance, all help and advice is greatly appreciated as this I'm looking for best possible solutions in a bizzare situation.

Reply to Wet Room Refit with many issues! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks