Discuss Wet Room Floor Advice Please in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

EdinTiler

I have a friend that's building a wet room at the moment. He doesn't want to use a formed tray but just wants to make the floor in its entirety. This will comprise of a run from one end of the room to the drain end. It's a linear drain that he plans to have roughly 30cm from the shower wall. The room is 2.2m in length. It'll be framed appropriately and topped with 18mm ply.
Can someone tell me the run/gradient that'll be needed from entering the room to the drain please. The walls will be Wedi board that's taped and tanked. I'd also like some suggestions about what I should do with the floor before tiling it.
EdinTiler
Thanks in advance

E

EdinTiler

Change of plan. The drain is goin against the wall at the bottom of the run. All I can find from Schluter is a 2% gradient, which over 2.2m would be 44mm. I don't think this seems enough. Anyone got any suggestions. I hate workin for friends that won't listen. I want then to put an entire Schluter system in but they're havin none of it.
EdinTiler

E

EdinTiler

Guys I don't have much say in how he goes about making the floor. One thing I'm sure of is that it'll be solid and fit for purpose. He's a joiner which is what makes this harder than ever to explain to him. Thinks he knows everything. I'm only tiling it as I've suggested the proper way to go about it and he wants to do it his way. It's out of my hands unfortunately. I'll be taking no responsibility other than the tiling. He knows this. Fed up of trying to make him see sense.
@impish Tell me why this is a guaranteed fail please?
EdinTiler

O

One Day

Guys I don't have much say in how he goes about making the floor. One thing I'm sure of is that it'll be solid and fit for purpose. He's a joiner which is what makes this harder than ever to explain to him. Thinks he knows everything. I'm only tiling it as I've suggested the proper way to go about it and he wants to do it his way. It's out of my hands unfortunately. I'll be taking no responsibility other than the tiling. He knows this. Fed up of trying to make him see sense.
@impish Tell me why this is a guaranteed fail please?
EdinTiler
I've attended loads of failed wet trays and showers which have had timber or hb 'custom' made floors. Aside from the smallest of failures in waterproofing causing failure, the link between the drain assembly and the floor is the real weak spot. Far safer to use a tray with the drain assembly built in and all watertight. Plus the tray itself is inherently waterproof.

E

EdinTiler

This is a brand new floor being built in a room that was a boiler room Impish mate. As I said the one thing I know is that it'll be solid. Mike Holmes solid, overkill.
As stated previously, I have made him aware of all of the above and he still wants to do it his way. Nothing I can do about it. He's gone and bought a wet room linear drain and trap etc. and his plumber says it's no problem to fit so my hands are tied.
It's just another case of 'what does the tiler know' unfortunately.
EdinTiler

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just explain that grout is not water proof . Plywood expands. And it will fail.
Before tray formers were widely available, I worked on a job for a footballer. He wanted a large two person shower room. Again a joiner constructed the floor (very well) and a quality drain ( (Harmer) was fitted. It looked great.

Fast forward a couple of years later when the grout cracked here and there, then they could not get rid of the musty smell. Went in and removed the tiles and the whole thing had turned black with bacterial growth in the ply.
Mate or no mate, he needs educating.

Last edited:
O

One Day

This is a brand new floor being built in a room that was a boiler room Impish mate. As I said the one thing I know is that it'll be solid. Mike Holmes solid, overkill.
As stated previously, I have made him aware of all of the above and he still wants to do it his way. Nothing I can do about it. He's gone and bought a wet room linear drain and trap etc. and his plumber says it's no problem to fit so my hands are tied.
It's just another case of 'what does the tiler know' unfortunately.
EdinTiler

For the sake of our profession then - tell him he's wrong!
But it's no good telling someone they're wrong without telling them why - and then what they can do about it.
If he is insisting on HIS way then I'd personally suggest that you tank everything flat with BAL tank-it (but not from Topps - way too dear). BAL tank-it outperforms Ardex WP. Then using the same gear - fix kerdi-keba or Wedi tape etc to all joints around the drain assembly and the same on all internal corners.
photograph everything closely before you tile so that if a leak occurs - you have proved that you have done your bit.
Remember - just one slight break in the waterproofing and water WILL find it's way into the substrate. If it's timber or cement board, it will soak it up like a sponge.

E

EdinTiler

For the sake of our profession, I HAVE told him and explained exactly why there could be possible future problems. It's in my best interest to isn't it.
Absolutely everything will be taped and tanked regardless with the appropriate products. Just a stress that I don't need at the moment. Apologies if I'm biting a bit.
EdinTiler

E

EdinTiler

@impish What would you suggest goes over the top of the plywood? I've only ever fitted the Schluter systems on raised plinths and platforms with the formed trays and membrane before. With no problems I might add. He'll be using ply regardless of what I say so anything that'll make my work as fool-proof as possible will be a consideration.
Thanks in advance
EdinTiler

Reply to Wet Room Floor Advice Please in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks