Discuss Weight limit on painted plasterboard in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi All,

We're currently looking at 600 x 300mm porcelain tiles for our bathroom. The majority of the room is currently painted skimmed plasterboard (which is attached to stud and exterior wall )

From reading other threads, it seems we may have some issue with the weight of the tiles?

Is there a link which shows the weight limit?

If our tiles will be too heavy, what options do we have ( please list all, even if they may be extreme).

Thanks in advance.

O

Old Mod

Plastered PB is 20kgm2 WITHOUT paint.
Unskimmed is 32kgm2
Hardibacker board 100kgm2
Tilebacker boards around 50kgm2 (manufacturer dependent)

Porcelain is approx 2.4kgm2 per mm
Adhesive and grout approx 4kgm2

Reaction score
Hi @3_fall thanks for the prompt reply.

What does the PB refer to in point 1?

What effect does it being painted have, is it that the weight limit will be reduced by the weight of the paint?

Regarding our options assuming we're going to have 600 x 300mm tiles which will be over the weight limit.

1. Remove all existing plasterboard and replace with new unskimmed plasterboard.

2. Overboard throughout with either hardiebacker or some other tile backer board

3. Go ahead and tile onto existing painted PB.

This tiling malarkey ain't half complicated, and I haven't even started to think about setting out / laying the tiles yet.

O

Old Mod

PB = plasterboard.
You shouldn't tile over paint, it can very easily debond from the wall, leaving you with a pile of tiles on the floor with paint stuck to the back.
You can overboard with a lightweight tile backer board like Delta board.
Or remove the paint, but that's still over the top really.
Or you can use a thin porcelain tile (4-6mm), after removing the paint.

F

Flintstone

This is the same problem I see all the time and there is no easy quick fix, everyone wants nice porcelain tiles instead of ceramics ofcourse. Best bet is to over board the lot, with plaster board or tile backer board, then tank the shower area

O

One Day

Overboard with delta board / wedi board / kerdi board (lightweight tile board) NOT hardibacker / aquapanel.
Easy to screw 6mm boards into studs using washers, but on dry-lined walls you'll need to dot and dab onto your existing walls, noting where the dabs are and drill through them afterwards into the block using some frame fixings, again with washers.
That's the only way I would tackle it.

F

Flintstone

So you need to use adhesive even onto stud walls?
I assume you need to comb adhesive onto solid walls too rather than dot and dab ?

O

One Day

So you need to use adhesive even onto stud walls?
I assume you need to comb adhesive onto solid walls too rather than dot and dab ?
6mm on its own would be useless onto studs, but over boarding existing painted walls, it's effectively just facing the walls. I'd use a 6mm trowel just to prevent any dips and hollows.

F

Flintstone

Just been reading on wedi website, says 12mm board direct to studs.

this bit puzzled me..

Before installing wedi Building Panel over any gypsum containing product, a primer must be applied prior to application of thinset mortar which is used to attach the wedi to such drywall assembly. Fasteners may be set in some areas to temporarily attach the two boards and compress the thinset adhesive. Do not forget to seal such fastener points with wedi joint sealant.

Reply to Weight limit on painted plasterboard in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks