Discuss Weber Set Trade S1, real problems! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is one of those threads where we work a lot on the reason behind the failure and not so much on the fix.

Unless weber are going to say the ply needs replacing (so at your cost not theirs) the fix is all the same and you've suggested it already.

Just needs tiling with an adhesive that's sticking. Do some test with off cuts and get on with it leaving a small area for weber to check and probably wriggle out of it because of fixer error or whatever.

Unless they confirm that batch of adhesive wasn't right, it's going fall on your head IMO. Sounds a bit harsh wasn't meant to come across like that.

Point I'm making is just retile it quick and move on. Don't use that adhesive again and look in to the ply you buy in future.

Just my 2p after reading it all again.

B

Blunt Tool

Don't know if you guys down south are the same but good few year back up here all the builders merchants started peddling cheap inferior plywood from all over the world wherever it was cheapest. Before that all the plywood came from Scandinavian countries, best there was and never any problems with it. I never go near plywood now and use Wedi or tile backer boards now sounds a bit like the horror stories I heard up here years back!

D

Dumbo

I like using ply for structure but never fix direct to it . I always use ditra or similar but I have to wonder in this situation if it still would of failed

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I like using ply for structure but never fix direct to it . I always use ditra or similar but I have to wonder in this situation if it still would of failed
Your ditra wouldn't have stuck with that S1.

By the sounds of it.

B

Billski

I think this is one of those threads where we work a lot on the reason behind the failure and not so much on the fix.

Unless weber are going to say the ply needs replacing (so at your cost not theirs) the fix is all the same and you've suggested it already.

Just needs tiling with an adhesive that's sticking. Do some test with off cuts and get on with it leaving a small area for weber to check and probably wriggle out of it because of fixer error or whatever.

Unless they confirm that batch of adhesive wasn't right, it's going fall on your head IMO. Sounds a bit harsh wasn't meant to come across like that.

Point I'm making is just retile it quick and move on. Don't use that adhesive again and look in to the ply you buy in future.

Just my 2p after reading it all again.

Yes I know the best way to sort it would be to take them all up and start again. But at my expence through no fault of my own! I'll try a few rows with a 3 or 4 mm mosaic trowel using the old tiles first as that's the cheapest option for now.

L

LM

Yes I know the best way to sort it would be to take them all up and start again. But at my expence through no fault of my own! I'll try a few rows with a 3 or 4 mm mosaic trowel using the old tiles first as that's the cheapest option for now.
Sand and vacuum the floor first ;)

R

Rookery

I'm not a fan of Weber gear and I suspect, like another poster said, that the formulation for Weber Trade S1 has been cut to the bone to make it cheaper. However, they must make tonnes and tonnes of the stuff at a time and they must do QC checks from each batch. If a 'bad batch' had got through, there would be 1000's of metres worth of adhesive all failing and I'm sure we would have heard about it by now.
My money is on dodgy ply. I never use the stuff myself, preferring Hardiebacker board. As far as I know, most adhesive manufacturers say to prime the reverse side of ply to prevent moisture coming through, not the surface to be tiled.

dave09

TF
Reaction score
Just a thought, the photo that shows the plywood, as has been said looks quite dark, I don't suppose it could be more of a concrete shuttering ply with releasing agent impregnated in it
And maybe the Weber adhesive just couldn't cope, whereas another manufacture may well just have been a bit better?
As said just a thought

Dave

L

LM

Just a thought, the photo that shows the plywood, as has been said looks quite dark, I don't suppose it could be more of a concrete shuttering ply with releasing agent impregnated in it
And maybe the Weber adhesive just couldn't cope, whereas another manufacture may well just have been a bit better?
As said just a thought

Dave
Shutterers defenitly don't use hardwood plywood. That darkness indicates 'Redwood'

B

Billski

image.jpg
I did a little test of my own over night. Stuck some off cuts down to an 18 mm piece of ply I found kicking about my shed, so not the same batch of ply I've used, and used a 9mm piece of hard wood ply. Pushed a knife between them with vertualy no pressure this morning and both popped off clean as a whistle. Now surely something should have stuck to the ply??

Reply to Weber Set Trade S1, real problems! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks