Discuss Waterproofing under screed? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

Kevbos

Most houses out of cities are timber built and on top of rock that constantly moves .so they have to flex and move with ground movement and extremes of weather

O

Ozzy

Probably off to Qatar on the 10th March

The pactice there is normally to use bitumen-based LAW (sometimes torch on, like rooing felt) and the screed is then laid to cover it up neatly before tiling. Sometime insulation is used under the screed. UFH not normal
Under-tile waterprofing is not always accepted as necessary.

Yes they're doing exactly that now.

O

Ozzy

Sorry for the late reply everyone. I've been here 3 weeks on Sunday. Damn slow going as some work hasn't been finished, didn't have all the tools I needed either but it's full steam ahead now.
Regarding the screeding, I'm letting them get on with doing it the way they normally do, I don't want to be responsible for any problems.
I'm working in a half built house with no electric or plumbing and all the other workers are from India or pakistan. We communicate with sign language lol. There is no health and safety, I really should have taken a video of them trying to wire up my drill to the generator, hilarious!:tearsofjoy:
It's bloody awesome though!:smile:

O

Ozzy

Fixing some beauty's at the moment, 1.2m x 0.6m and 12mm thick porcelain. Wouldn't be too much of a problem but she wants them on her 3m high walls (platform on way)! I'm so happy that the solid walls are perfectly flat :sweat:. I swear they weigh more than me :confused2:. I'm using Keraflex Maxi S1. I haven't fixed these before but it seems to be going ok.

Can anyone tell me their fixing method for these so that I don't do it wrong and kill someone?

N

NZ_Tiler

12mm porcelain is probably 30kg m2 so one full tile ca.22kgm2.

No doubt you're back buttering... when trowelling your walls keep the notches parallel and running across the narrowest part of the tile, that way the air can escape easy and notches collapse.

Also use levelling clips. 1. They stop the tiles touching and chipping when you first lay them. Spacers are fiddly and fall out...

2. You get flush edges. Don't be tight, put a couple in, its a nuisance if one breaks and potentially have to pull a tile off to replace it.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Ozzy

12mm porcelain is probably 30kg m2 so one full tile ca.22kgm2.

No doubt you're back buttering... when trowelling your walls keep the notches parallel and running across the narrowest part of the tile, that way the air can escape easy and notches collapse.

Also use levelling clips. 1. They stop the tiles touching and chipping when you first lay them. Spacers are fiddly and fall out...

2. You get flush edges. Don't be tight, put a couple in, its a nuisance if one breaks and potentially have to pull a tile off to replace it.

Thanks, yeah I'm back buttering. The problem is finding things out here, going to look for one thing seems to take up half a day, it's driving me nuts. I would have no idea where to find levelling clips.

The plumbers decided to lay all the pipework in the bathroom I'm working in yesterday so I can't use the platform for the higher tiles. I'm being held up so much. They also have strange ways of doing things here, the window fitter said he wants me to tile before he fits the window (in one bathroom, the rest are fitted inside so the sill is on the outside), I rejected this though.

I'm off to Dubai tomorrow for a few days so they can get on and finish before I get back.

Reply to Waterproofing under screed? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks